Center Console Knob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jo89k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Ok, I've finally had enough of my center console giving me a hard time lol, the lock and latch works fine but it's missing the "knob" that makes it easy to grab on to, so you can open it. I can't seem to find a replacement, even LMC doesn't have it

You must be registered for see images

Any one know where I can find the missing part? Thanks

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I haven't had one open before but it appears to be the same as the glovebox lock?

It's VERY similar. I was just eyeballing the one on my lid yesterday because I found a spring laying in the bottom that should be part of the latch mechanism and right away I thought about HR's write up in the glove box latch and it looked the same. I'll have to investigate that.

jo89k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
It's VERY similar. I was just eyeballing the one on my lid yesterday because I found a spring laying in the bottom that should be part of the latch mechanism and right away I thought about HR's write up in the glove box latch and it looked the same. I'll have to investigate that.

Yeah it's very similar but I'm not 100% sure, if you get a chance to investigate before I have a free second I'd be interested to see what you find, if not I'll report in on what I find

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

jo89k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Awesome, I'll just give LMC some more of my money tomorrow and be all set lol

Milblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MilBlazer
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I'm looking to get a lock for my glove box and center console and came across this thread and I was wonder are they the same lock? They look similar and I would like to have the same key for the two. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'm looking to get a lock for my glove box and center console and came across this thread and I was wonder are they the same lock? They look similar and I would like to have the same key for the two. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Yes sir

Sent from my iPod touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The console latch is keyed, the glove box latch is not. I've never paid attention, do the bench seat trucks have a keyed glove box? I've never had the desire to lock any of mine so I haven't a clue.

Milblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MilBlazer
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I'd like to have a keyed glove box. Might have to do some experimentation on my truck.

Rick465

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The console 'knob' and the glove box 'knob' are not the same. The console lid is thicker than the glove box lid, requiring the shaft or the nut for the console 'knob' to be longer. I have an '83 K5 and I got a replacement glove box 'knob' from Classic Parts, (they did NOT promise that it would fit) and it does not. It is too short. When you try to screw on the nut from the top to the shaft at the bottom, it will not take...almost...but not quite. They were awesome to set up a return, nothing but shipping and time lost there.
If I could find a console at the junk yard I would take that 'knob' but no. The K5's and suburbans are pretty popular and junk yard finds are tough.
If anyone knows where to get one I am in the market too.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
If anyone knows where to get one I am in the market too.

Okay, so the medium duty GM trucks from the 1967-1972 series could have a glove box lock. Don't know if it was an option or standard. That lock also has a different set back depth for the threads, but I was able to get it to fit in my '82 glove box door.

Keep in mind GMC used that series cab even longer into the 1970's on the heavy duty trucks. Need to look in the truck salvage yards. It will use the round door key, (letter code for that year) not the square ignition key.

Plan on re-keying unless you manage to get one with a key.

rwjtexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
UPDATED ... Also I did not know this post went back to 2013 ...

I'm in the process right now of updating and restoring my 85 Blazer working on this exact issue.

As stated through out the thread. The Glove Box Lock does not LOCK .. and has a little hole in the center of where the key slot would be (See Pictures Above). The Hold down Nut is shorter than the console hold down nut I am betting based on the above posts.

I put new keys on Doors and Tailgate and want my Console Lock Keyed the same and I was thinking about getting a locking lock cylinder for the Glove Box keyed as well.

As mentioned earlier you have to get an UNCODED Lock Cylinder that will accept your Round Head Door Key ... in my case my Door Key Code is "H"

On EBay there are a ton of Uncoded Lock Cylinders, it's a gamble to see if one fits your Key Code.

In researching where GM Pauls got my lock set I found out it was PYCL Classic Locks / MAX Performance in Landsdale PA.

I spoke to technical help and found out that Lock Cylinder P/N 593051 was uncoded and would fit my "H" Door Key ... It is a the Locksmith now being Keyed to match my Key.

Uncoded Locking Cylinder (593051) was found on page 35 of 76 in the PYCL Classic Lock PDF Below.
Locking Cylinder Case (PY183U) is found on numbers Pages in Catalog

When I got the Uncoded Lock Cylinder in I tried my Door key and it slide in just fine so I knew it would be able to coded to match.

I did buy two new Lock Cylinder Cases P/N PY183U ... I am thinking the LOCK CYLINDER and LOCK CYLINDER CASES are going to be the same with the difference being in the LOCKING NUT that holds the Cylinder case to the respective lid / top.

I ordered two Uncoded cylinders so I could in fact use one of them in my Glovebox if I so choose or I can leave it original with a non key locking glove box lock

I did not have any problem removing the lock cylinder from the Glovebox door ... following You Tube videos and getting it fully disassembled for painting.

However, I could not remove the lock cylinder from the console lid as they are a son of a gun and I spent nearly 4 hours on it and messed it up. (Not an issue, since I was going to replace the lock cylinder). The Lock smith removed it for me ... I do not have pictures of the two Nuts at this time as the console top is not available at this time for me to get to.

Once I have the Console Lock Cylinder Nut, I can post a picture of the two nuts so we can see the difference in length.

Max Performance is a wholesaler but the talking to them for technical service is a real help.

Once you have your part number you can call one of the stores on where to buy. I bet GM Pauls could order this for you.

AND HERE YOU GO FROM AMAZON ....if this is your lock cylinder :)

As soon as I get the respective Lock Cylinder Nuts I will post a picture

UPDATED:

I did some more research this morning and found that the Strattic Aftermarket Solutions 1987-1988 B/S catalog confirms a couple of things ...

Go to Pages 18-21 of 23 in the PDF Below and on Page 21 there will be information on the Glovebox and Storage / Console box ...

Mine is an 85 so I am not sure of what I bought will work on the Console, it will work on the glovebox .

The Lock Case show to be the same and the most interesting is the Lock Nut show the same part number if you look at the C/K information on both.

I may have to get another UNCODED LOCK CYLINDER as I bought a 593051 and the 87-88 catalog shows that the console uses a 593053 UNCODED LOCK CYLINDER .

I would point out that he 593051 I bought did match up visually to the Lock Cylinders that were removed from the Blazer Console so I assumed they would work ... I will know when I reassemble everything.

More research on this:

New information on 10-28-23

The Glovebox Unkeyed Number by B/S or Strattec is 593051 and is a middle version of the Lock Cylinder
The Center Console Unkeyed Number by B/S or Strattec is 59053 and is the longer version.

The picture showing the length less than 2" is the NON-Keyed Glovebox Cylinder
The Picture showing the Length to be 2" is the Keyed Console Cylinder.
The Picture showing them side by side the Console Cylinder is to the left

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@Rick465 Hey Rick, read Rob's post above this one, he has the answer. Welcome to the forum.

@rwjtexas Rob thanks for the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76