Carburetor rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I found an old unknown brand 4 bbl carb that my dad had sitting in the garage for years. I was thinking of rebuilding it and using it. Two things. One, are they difficult to rebuild? Two, Is it worth getting a rebuild kit and rebuilding it, or would i just be better off buying a new carb?

Aside from going to Napa and buying a rebuild kit, I really am not sure where to start with this project. :Insane:

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Take some pics and post em up or get the numbers off of it so we can figure out what it is first. It might be worth rebuilding and it might not.

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

I apologize for the delay on the pictures. The carb is in storage. So I know 0 about carb systems but looks like a 4bbl carb and found that it is a quadrajet carb. So thoughts? Worth rebuilding or but a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It's a later model QJet... As far as whether or not it's worth rebuilding, I wouldn't say no, but personally I'd probably look for one that was made just before they put the electronics into it.

That said, I've heard that there's a way to remove the electronics, but don't know the exact process used to seal up the hole in the top plate when that's done.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The Qjet can be a bear to rebuild and tune. Do you have a stock or aftermarket intake on the truck? Stock is most likely a spreadbore carb mounting and aftermarket is most of the times squarebore mounting. The Qjet is a spreadbore and would need an adapter to to mount to an aftermarket intake. If you have a stock spreadbore intake and want to use a Holley or Elderbrock carb it will need an adapter.

If your looking for a good rebuilt Qjet, these people are the best. I have one and love it.

http://www.smicarburetor.com/

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok do track one down the doesn't have all the electronics on it? Do they sell those new or do I have to find one someone is selling one used?

towin'gmc

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Hey Anthony. The quadrajet is a great carb but complicated for your first attempt at rebuilding I think. I have saved a couple of them for future needs. Just contact SMI and let them send you one with no electronics rebuilt. No need to buy new. If you want a new unit I believe Holley has Q-jet replacement carbs. Your linkage should fit OK or at least ask about that before you buy so you need to tell them what manifold is on your truck.

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Personally, I would throw that carb in the nearest river lol, but that's just me, I like holleys

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
The carb on my truck is a Holley Re'maned Q-jet, so i have the best of both worlds :rofl:

My Uncle put it on the truck befor i bought it from him.

But with that aside, Q-jet is by far the best all around carb and will pull the best MPG as far as carbs go. As far as rebuilding one, at first they might be intimidating, but if you dont rush into things and loose parts and read the instructions, Its pretty straight forward. But i agree with the others on here, avoid the electronic version, I have one that i converted to non-electric that i had on my monte.

Last edited:

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey Anthony. The quadrajet is a great carb but complicated for your first attempt at rebuilding I think. I have saved a couple of them for future needs. Just contact SMI and let them send you one with no electronics rebuilt. No need to buy new. If you want a new unit I believe Holley has Q-jet replacement carbs. Your linkage should fit OK or at least ask about that before you buy so you need to tell them what manifold is on your truck.

Great thank you guys! I'll see if I can buy a rebuilt one. What is SMI that you told me to contact to get a rebuilt one?

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Just call SMI and tell them what you got, they will ship you the correct carb. I told them year, engine size, modified or stock, transmission, and they shipped me the carb.

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just call SMI and tell them what you got, they will ship you the correct carb. I told them year, engine size, modified or stock, transmission, and they shipped me the carb.

What is SMI? I wasn't able to find them online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman