carb suggestions for a 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
TBI 350

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I picked up a brand new 600 for $265, installed and running great now. Just have other issues to attend. Like gauges and gas leak.

84 square

Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Allow me to chime in

I am new to the forum and picked up an 84 GMC longbed last month. I need to get it running good before working on the paint, interior etc. I'm wanting to get a new carb(prefer a holley or qjet), fuel pump, plugs, wires and belts. I say this based off of what a family member who owns a mechanic shop with his dad.

Here's the story on it. My sister owned it as of 2012, never really drove it but kept the oil changed in it. Gave it to me, and I towed it back from South Texas last month. I was able to start it and drive it around the block. Ran really rough. Gas is probably pretty old considering how it sat for months. so this is why it's being recommended that I get a new carb, pump etc. It has a 305 so what carb should I go with? I know little about working on these trucks but have some knowledge of working on motor from my college days when I owned a 73 GMC. Any advice would be appreciated.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would assume it is mostly original. that would mean it would have a quadrajet already on it. why not just rebuild that one unless it is complete junk, but you said it runs rough so that is a start.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Something that should be mentioned with all this carb discussion-

There is a difference in rebuilding a carb and installing a rebuild kit on a carb, I learned this firsthand. The quadrajet is simple if you have a clue what you are looking at, I recommend them completely but I also recommend this book before you try it.

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modify-Rochester-Quadrajet-Carburetors/dp/1932494189

With that book and the stock carb you can put something together thats way better than a carb in a box you just bolt on.

I ran a couple different different edelbrock carbs on my 85, one was actually a carter afb (same **** as a 1406) and they worked well. The edelbrock carbs are really simple and easy to tune. Stock jet and needle setting is on the rich side, you can order a kit to fine tune it.

84 square

Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I would assume it is mostly original. that would mean it would have a quadrajet already on it. why not just rebuild that one unless it is complete junk, but you said it runs rough so that is a start.

Wow, i never thought about rebuilding it, hell I didn't even know it came stock with a quadrajet. I will look into the rebuilding option first. Thanks for the tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman