cam and carburator question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unspokenmessiah

Reaction score
First Name
cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
im looking into putting a small or mid size cam in my truck and dont really know what to get and also probably getting a new carb aswell, right now its a stock 400 with a weind stelth instake in a 76 3/4ton chevy 4x4 and i was thinking about getting a holly 750 double pumper but im not to sure on what size cam i should go with, any help would be amazing

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You definitely don't want to go 750 on a 400ci motor. 454 or larger maybe, but I'd stay with a 600 or 650 at the largest. The motor just doesn't breath that hard, even with a "Thumper" cam.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
^agreed

Go with a 650dp, and an rv cam.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Classic suburban
Engine Size
Is it a 400 big block or 400 small block? If it's a big block then the carb should be fine but if it's small block then it will over load itself. Only time Ive seen an 750 do fine on a small block is when it's going all out, daily driving it over loads and chokes unless you detune the crap out of it. Reason I ask is because you didn't specify if small or big block. Cams really depend on a lot of stuff. It depends on what you plan on doing with the truck and your gears, budget, just stuff like that. R.V. camshaft grinds are nice because they give you the torque you would want for a truck but they don't have top end power.

unspokenmessiah

Reaction score
First Name
cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Its a 400 small block with a turbo 400 tranny, full time 4 wheel drive with 4.10 gears, for a cam I'm just looking for more low end torque for playing in the mud

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Its a 400 small block with a turbo 400 tranny, full time 4 wheel drive with 4.10 gears, for a cam I'm just looking for more low end torque for playing in the mud

For low end torque your best bet is a stock cam.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
An RV camshaft will do you great in the mud as long as your in the idle to 4,000 rpm range any above that they fall down power wise pretty quick. Lunati Voodoo cams are designed for torque but those are mid to higher if I remember right, same with the CompCams muthaThumpers. Get you a 600 or 650cfm carburetor. Don't go any larger than that cause you will flood her out.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
well I am sure I'm going to get allot of sh*t for this but here goes. a 750 double pumper is way to much carb for a 400cid engine, doesn't matter if it's a big block or a small block it's still a 400cid. another thing holley carbs are not good off road carbs, good for 1/4 mile cars and drag boats. much better is a carter(now edelbrock made) with off road needle and seats or a factory Quadajet rebuilt by a good rebuilder. whats nice about the carter is anybody can rebuild one, super easy but not legal in kalifornia on smog check vehicles. as far as a cam a rv type cam works good for trucks and off road. my 2 cents. let the cr*p fly. highdesertranger

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
well I am sure I'm going to get allot of sh*t for this but here goes. a 750 double pumper is way to much carb for a 400cid engine, doesn't matter if it's a big block or a small block it's still a 400cid. another thing holley carbs are not good off road carbs, good for 1/4 mile cars and drag boats. much better is a carter(now edelbrock made) with off road needle and seats or a factory Quadajet rebuilt by a good rebuilder. whats nice about the carter is anybody can rebuild one, super easy but not legal in kalifornia on smog check vehicles. as far as a cam a rv type cam works good for trucks and off road. my 2 cents. let the cr*p fly. highdesertranger

I agree.
Most people don't like Q-jets because someone told them not to. The reality, is that they're a really good carb. If they're adjusted right. AND... They have several needle options for many applications.
And I also agree that anything bigger than a 600 or 650 carb is just way to big.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
I agree with above, 400ci wether it be big block or small block is still only 400ci no matter how you spell it. 650 is PLENTY for a engine that size, exspecially if its a DD or ocasional play toy, now for drags, 725-750, but under 6k it will overfuel.
The 355 in my truck has a L79 cam in it, alot of people would compare it to an rv cam. It pulls hard all the way to 6500 if the engine is setup right. It also has a nice lope to it, mines more mellow since we advanced it at the crank and at the distributor, but still lopes pretty good.
Put it this way, my 355 is basically running on 7 cylinders right now(Cyl 7 is at 60psi), and has 3.08's in the back, and i can still break the rears loose, setting on 32" tires.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Q-Jets are 750cfm.... So why would him going from a 750cfm Holley or Edlebrock to a Q-Jet make any difference? I know Q-Jets have the smaller front ventures but they have huge rear ventures that make up for it so it doesn't matter if it's a Q-jet or not it's still 750cfm. And it does make a difference if it's a 400 small or big block. That's like saying a 396 big block only needs a 650cfm because it's only a 396cid. Yes it will run with a 650cfm as I have ran a 454 with a 600cfm but the motor will be a dog. Not trying to bust anyone's balls or nothing but I'm just saying what I've learned over the years of building motors.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The question of how much carb to run on an engine shouldn't be limited to it's size... Size is probably one of the biggest considerations, but it's volumetric efficiency also plays a large part in the air requirements of the engine.

Yes, a Q-Jet has a 750CFM flow rating, but it can be adjusted to flow less. The main advantage of the Q-Jet over the squarebore carbs is the smaller primaries which can be set up for the engine at hand during average street conditions while maintaining the large secondaries as a backup for hard acceleration conditions where the fuel requirements are greater.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Q-Jets are 750cfm.... So why would him going from a 750cfm Holley or Edlebrock to a Q-Jet make any difference? I know Q-Jets have the smaller front ventures but they have huge rear ventures that make up for it so it doesn't matter if it's a Q-jet or not it's still 750cfm. And it does make a difference if it's a 400 small or big block. That's like saying a 396 big block only needs a 650cfm because it's only a 396cid. Yes it will run with a 650cfm as I have ran a 454 with a 600cfm but the motor will be a dog. Not trying to bust anyone's balls or nothing but I'm just saying what I've learned over the years of building motors.

Q-jets flow UP TO 750. It only gives what the engine needs. And on a smallblock 650 is more than enough. Slightly undercarbed is better than way over carbed......

MonsterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
Ok, my two cents. Keep in mind that I am a big Full Size Jeeper with a bad ford addiction building my wife's chevy...Ive had some experience all the way around that seems to lend itself to this particular question.
For the carb, I'm assuming that you are still running stock heads on your 400, and are looking for some sort of torque building combo that will serve you well in the mud and playing around on trails. You also are tied to a TH400, and an NP203, so here is what I would look at and why:

Heads: Keep your stockers, but have them port matched to your intake and exhaust. The stock heads actually flow just fine for your intended purpose, and since you could (read should) have them off anyways while installing your new cam, it doesn't take much to use a dremel and make things a little smoother and keep your fuel/air speed up coming through your induction.

Cam: I have had great experience with CompCams and there Extreme Energy 4x4 cams, though the Magnum series are also a massive improvement over stock. I recommend that you stick to around the 256-268 range, as that will cover your RPM range well. It really depends on how your drive, if you are a little heavy footed, don't be afraid to go with the 268H, remember that you have a 1200-1400 stall speed stock anyways, so you can afford a little higher rpm range and work fine for you. If you tend to Crawl along and only hit the gas when you really need it, 260H or the 256H are more inline with your driving style.

Intake: Stock works fine, but if you can wrangle up an Edelbrock Performer series for cheap, it's worth it. Hands down great torque and horsepower builders, flow air very well at low speed and look nice too. Usually can find a good used one for the $100 range. Either way, spend the time to make sure that everything matches up port wise, it really does make a difference.

Carb: Here is the great debate of all time, Holley, Eddy, Q Jet, or some brand no one has ever heard of. Best answer? Depends on your driving style and where you play and what you intend to do. I love the Holley Truck Avenger series, spring loaded floats, outside accessible float bowls, ready change and easy swap jets that were color coded...awesome for blasting up fire roads and log trails, getting a little of camber. Con is that you are constantly adjusting them. Q-Jet, by far the most economical carb I have ever run, even though it is a 750 cfm. Why? Because when I kept my foot out of it I ran on the primaries only, which only flow like 350 cfm, but have massive secondaries for when you bury your foot. They do fine off road but in my bronco didn't seem to like being bounced around as much. Swapping needle seats for altitude and adjusting floats on the side of the trail are much more invasive with this carb. I just put an Eddy 1406 on my Suburban and I gotta say that it's a pretty good compramise between the two so far. Much more tolerant offroad and setting idle speed on them is dirt simple, no gasket below the float is awesome, but doesn't make the same economy as the Q-Jet or have quite the throttle response that the Holley did. For my money with what you seem to want to do, I'd get the Edelbrock if you can get a good deal on one, or save and buy a Truck Avenger 670 cfm. If you are set on a Q-Jet, pm and I can send you mine. I won't need it.

The idea for building good power, especially down low, is that the less the engine has to fight itself and the better it can breath at your intended rpm range the better it will build torque and horsepower. Many combinations will work, but its the one you spend the time developing for how you intend to drive it that works best. Hope that helps and good luck!

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I Love Quads Vroooooommmmmm lol