Brake bleeder system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
is there such a system that works for one person to bleed the brakes? Tired of paying for brake parts to be changed cuz I don't wanna get into an argument with the wife (happens every time cuz she don't listen lol).

Willing to pay up to $120, but prefer the $70 I'm getting ready to pay to have the front calipers changed.

Will be checking internet/youtube in the mean time.

Thanks In Advance
'Maro

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
I tried getting the nice looking neighbor lady to help Me ONE time!!!! Late Wife was still pissed...

Attachments

• cat in winnder 001.JPG
    cat in winnder 001.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 31

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
is there such a system that works for one person to bleed the brakes? Tired of paying for brake parts to be changed cuz I don't wanna get into an argument with the wife (happens every time cuz she don't listen lol).

Willing to pay up to $120, but prefer the $70 I'm getting ready to pay to have the front calipers changed.

Will be checking internet/youtube in the mean time.

Thanks In Advance
'Maro
$100 at harbor freight for the big dog one. You can probably use a 20% coupon on it and get it for $80.
https://www.harborfreight.com/pneum...pfMAZ7N73RfTitUoAgD7aTYPD2m5i3dMaAluVEALw_wcB

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
MityVac. Works great.

I made the mistake of buying a cheap Harbor Freight pneumatic and it eventually malfunctioned. Something went VERY wrong and it forced compressed air back into the brake system.

You must be registered for see images attach

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
THIS!!!! I swear by it. Super easy, super effective. I use it on my brakes and clutch. No mess. Easy Peasy. It's NOT a vacumn, it's a reverse pressure bleeder. Hook the can of fluid to it and pump it until the master cylinder is almost full. This saved my marriage!

Attachments

• Brake Bleeder.JPG
    Brake Bleeder.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 76

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
hmmm....so we have some old suction units at work. I could use one to do it as well (low vacuum of course).

Tells you how much thought I've put into this since the last argument.....20 plus years ago lol

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I haven't tried it yet, but what about the low cost bleeder bottle method?
https://blog.1aauto.com/how-to-bleed-brakes-by-yourself/
saw that also. Think I tried that but kept getting bubbles.

Not understanding how it works probably turned me away from it thinking I still had air (was on a 90-91 chevy...model to have known issues troubleshooting spongy brakes).

I guess when the bleeder sucks air in....it's after the cylinder so it's fine. This is info I've got from a couple videos.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
First thing you gotta do is remove the bleeder screw and put a wrap of Teflon tape on the treads. When you crack the bleeder screw to bleed the system, 99% of the time air gets in thru the threads. It will drive a person to insanity! Most people don't realize it's happening and blame the process....or the wife.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
First thing you gotta do is remove the bleeder screw and put a wrap of Teflon tape on the treads. When you crack the bleeder screw to bleed the system, 99% of the time air gets in thru the threads. It will drive a person to insanity! Most people don't realize it's happening and blame the process....or the wife.
lol....still keeping the wife outta this....regardless of the outcome of the "correct" process....still her fault by golly!

Good idea though, some mention applying grease around where it threads in to slow the air.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I do like the suction pump idea though.....could change the fluid fairly easily in the whole system

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I use a $3.00 garden sprayer took off the nozzle put a piece of plastic tubing on it put a fitting in a piece of aluminum plate,sealed with a picef rubber,you could use an old reservoir cap. Put fluid in it,pump it up and it has constant pressure of brake fluid while you bleed. I'll put a pic up in a minute, an even easier way I've been using lately, I use is a long piece of vacuum tubing hook it to manifold vacuum start the car,put it on a bleeder,crack the bleeder,tighten the bleeder when the idle changes. That's actually my favorite it's fast and easy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-04_211347.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-04_211347.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I use a $3.00 garden sprayer took off the nozzle put a piece of plastic tubing on it put a fitting in a piece of aluminum plate,sealed with a picef rubber,you could use an old reservoir cap. Put fluid in it,pump it up and it has constant pressure of brake fluid while you bleed. I'll put a pic up in a minute, an even easier way I've been using lately, I use is a long piece of vacuum tubing hook it to manifold vacuum start the car,put it on a bleeder,crack the bleeder,tighten the bleeder when the idle changes. That's actually my favorite it's fast and easy.
I nominate you for the "MacGyver" award!

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This is the exact reason I went back to giving a friend a 12 pack of Budweiser to sit in the cab and listen to my cues. I had the vacuum style but air kept leaking around the threads. Pump/open/closed/sip and good company.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've been doing brake systems for years. Minor bleed or full system, I use a mytyvac hand held suction pump. recently I upgraded to the pro model in some kinda metal after wearing out a few of the plastic ones. The one thing you need to know is that bubbles from leaking threads appear all the time. So just keep the velocity of flow up (vacuum more than 10"). Yes, you will see bubbles, and a lot of them. But, go through all 4 wheels and you will have a firm pedal every time. I have pressure system(motive products) as well, but the adapter for the cap is never correct and a leak at the master will make a big mess. The mityvac is simple and fast. It gives a solid pedal every time.

One time about 20 years ago, I had the easy bleed pressure bleeder hooked up to my squarebody 88 suburban and the pressure lid was tied down with tie wraps and everything to no avail. Just a funny memory.. Found the picture October 28th 2000.

Attachments

• Bleeding failure.jpeg
    Bleeding failure.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 49

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS