Borgeson steering shaft.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
I installed a Borgeson steering shaft today. What a difference in stability over what it was before. The old one was loose and scary. Apparently, one of the knucklehead privious owner's decided to cut the shaft to either install it or center the steering wheel.
You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
That old shaft isn't factory. Looks like it was modified to eliminate the rag joint.

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
I know, my M1031 still had the rag joint type shaft. The old shaft pictured is a cheaper version of the one I installed.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
How was the install of the new shaft? I've had it on my list of things to install on my truck for a while. I was thinking of doing it this winter.

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Well seeing as the shaft I removed was an aftermarket piece with aluminum universal joints, it was a bear to get off the steering box. I reluctantly had to put the MAP gas torch to it and use liberal amounts of penetrating oil. If you are removing the original rag joint shaft, it will be far easier. Just soak the splines on the box a few days prior to removing it. The steering column end will all but fall off once you remove the bolt. I got it installed in a half hour after fighting with the steering box end. Here's the detailed instructions and part number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76