Blower motor runs only on low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just for giggles, try running a HD wire from negative batt post directly to metal blower housing-bare metal and make sure the housing is chassis grounded very well-now check for high speed.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yep. Checked and verified...still no high speed. We had to use the medium speed last night while on the way to a carshow...it sucks when it's 102 at 7pm.

Man, this is a real head scratcher. Most of this post is just me thinking out loud. You don't need to read my list of the things you have already checked or the stuff about how a SPDT relay works. You might want to skip right down to the procedure on how to check whether the relay is working.

Alright, let's go over the relay connections one by one.:

1. Power is being supplied from the relay to the blower motor windings (on pin 1 via the PPL lead). Also the blower motor windings are properly grounded. These assumptions can be made because the blower operates normally - on all speed settings except HIGH.

2. The necessary power supply required for high speed operation is available into the relay (on pin 2 via the RED lead) . You have confirmed this by measuring 12 VDC with a meter . The RED lead is connected straight to the firewall junction block.

3. You have also confirmed - with a meter - that when the blower speed is set to HIGH at the control panel, 12 VDC is applied to the positive side of the coil (at pin 3 - via the ORN lead) The ORN lead connects to the terminal labeled H on the speed switch.

4. You have checked the negative leg of the relay’s operating coil - with a meter - and found that it has a clear, consistent path to ground (via pin 4 on the BLK lead).

This last one doesn't have anything to do with the "no high speed" problem - it's just to cover the function of all the relay terminals in my mind.

5. By normal daily operation of the system, you have confirmed that a variable voltage supply - for reduced blower speeds - is available from the resistor stack (at pin 5 on the DK BLU lead).

That pretty much covers everything external to the relay. Let's see if it is actually pulling in and closing the high speed contacts. If your hearing is good, you should be able to detect a slight click from within the relay housing each time voltage is applied and removed from the coil. That click is the sound of the contacts closing in each direction. We know the NC contacts are okay - because they are the ones that supply power to the blower motor for all speeds except HIGH.

Single Pole Double Throw Relay operation:

Without power to the coil, the contact arm of the relay is held away from the coil's core by a spring. This particular style of relay (SPDT) has two movable contact buttons attached to the arm – at the end furthest from the pivot. There is one contact on each side of the arm.

There are also two stationary contact buttons located on either side of the arm. They are a few millimeters away and positioned so that they are lined up with each of the movable contacts on the end of the arm.

When power is applied to the coil windings, it’s core acts as an electromagnet and exerts a pull on the contact arm. This causes the arm to move downward towards the coil. But the arm never makes it to the core. Before it does, the movable contact at the tip of the arm hits the stationary contact. This stops the downward motion of the arm and the impact of the contact faces produces a slight “click” sound.

When power is removed, the coil's magnetism is lost and the spring quickly snaps the arm back away from the core. This time the motion of the arm is stopped by the other movable contact hitting the stationary contact - and another click sound is produced.

So, you can check this relay by listening for a click. You should hear one each time power is applied & removed.

Audible check for proper relay operation:

You can do this anyway that is convenient, my method is only a suggestion. But, you want to do this test under real life conditions so don't pull the relay from it's socket.

You will only be checking the operation of the control circuit anyway, so pull the purple lead from the terminal on the blower motor. The sound from the blower will only make it harder to hear the contacts clicking.

The coil's control circuit has to be made and broken repeatedly in order to produce the clicking sound. This can be accomplished on either the power feed or ground leg.

Since there is really no easy way to remove and apply power to the orange wire - without being in the cab and operating the switch – it’s best to use the ground wire. Plus, if you were in the cab you couldn't hear the relay.

Unbolt the ring terminal at the relay coil’s ground connection on the firewall – the one shared with blower motor:

You must be registered for see images attach

Go in the cab and set the blower speed to HI - turn the ignition switch to RUN.

At this point, everything is connected as normal - except the blower is disabled. So now, when you touch/remove the coil’s black lead to/from a good ground, you should be able to hear the clicking sound as the contacts as they close in both directions.

If the coil isn’t moving the contact arm - and making that clicking sound:

1. You got another bad coil

2. There is no power being supplied on the ORN lead. Another possibility is
that there is 12 volts, but the number of broken strands in the copper
conductor is so great that it can’t supply current at a sufficient rate to
operate the coil.

To check whether it is the case that the ORN lead is not allowing sufficient current flow for coil operation, do like gmachinz suggests - run a good
parallel jumper from either the battery positive or the firewall junction block. You can use this parallel conductor method on the coil power lead (red from
FW JB to pin 2) and coil ground lead (BLK from pin 4 to engine block/firewall) as well.

3. There is no path to ground on the BLK lead. Or like the described for the
ORN lead, there is continuity, but the current carrying capacity of the
conductor is insufficient due to broken strands.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I must have missed this:

I'm beginning to wonder if a wire is missing from the harness. There are more contacts on the speed switch than wires in the back of the blower speed connector.Does this even sound correct??? This kinda makes sense to me.

Is it remotely possible that the 1984 wiring is different from the 87 for the ac control?

I am going to trace out the wires and see what if any are missing from the switch connection.

There should be 4 wires into the connector and 4 terminals on the back of the switch - and that holds true for any year using the C60 HVAC system (83 -91 I think).

The wires are:

BRN/WHT - Common power supply (in)
LT/BLU - Medium 1 speed (out)
DK/BLU - Medium 2 speed (out)
ORN - High speed (out)

There are no switched contacts for Low speed operation. The BRN/WHT common power lead is always hot whenever the mode select lever is in any position other than OFF. As the BRN/WHT leaves the mode select switch is split off into 2 separate leads. One goes to the blower speed switch and is used to supply the resistor combinations for the two medium speed settings. The other BRN/WHT wire that splits off runs straight to the BAT terminal of the resistor stack. Once at the resistor stack on the BAT terminal, it passes through all three of the resistors to get to the BLO (BLO for blower) terminal. The BLO terminal is connected to the relay (at pin 5 by the DK BLU lead).

So any time the mode select switch is in anything other than OFF, the blower will have a minimum speed of LOW. Moving the speed select switch higher speeds will supply voltage to terminals on the resistor stack that pass through fewer resistors on the way to the BLO terminal. This results in higher voltage being supplied to pin 5 of the relay. This higher voltage is lead over to the blower on the purple wire.

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I verified that the relay "clicks" when switching the ac to "on". Relay at this point appears to be functioning as it should. The problem seems to be the lack of wires supplied to the control switch of the ac fan control at this point. I will see what color the wires are next time I can muster up enough energy to remove the dash (this will be the fourth time....AARRGGHH !):doh2:

It seems at this point I may in fact be missing a wire for the ac fan speed control function as I remember counting only three wires and four connections on the speed control switch. Anything is possible at this point....84 frame, but cab, front clip, motor, trans was switched to an 87 by p.o. and who knows WHAT the hell he did or didn't do. At this point it wouldn't suprise me a bit since he has proven time and again doing half ass work on this project. Im beyond frustrated with electrical issues......in fact while driving home from the show with the a.c. on...my choke light illuminated. Oil pressure normal, rpms fine...wtf? At least I know that the dummy light works. Now I need to troubleshoot that as well. :Insane:

Mike7ftr

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
Old thread but I'm still gunna dig it up.
Smoothandlow84, Did you find out what was wrong? I'm having the same issue.
Only "high" isn't working.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Old thread but I'm still gunna dig it up.
Smoothandlow84, Did you find out what was wrong? I'm having the same issue.
Only "high" isn't working.
Check your relay I had the same issue and the relay took care of it. I have a donor to pull from but you should be able to get one from a yard. High is direct all other speeds are threw the resistor.

Boonie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I had an issue where my blower would work on all speeds but high. my problem was an inline fuse under the hood. not sure if this applies to your issue or not.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Boonie, can you take a pic of this inline fuse? I have eliminated all other issues and still no high speed.

I have since wired a seperate switch for the high speed on the motor function. I can now flip the seperate switch (hidden in my ash tray) and have high speed whenever I want), regardless of what the fan switch speed is set to on the ac control panel. Its a temp fix, but I would still like to have it work properly.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Boonie, can you take a pic of this inline fuse? I have eliminated all other issues and still no high speed.

I have since wired a seperate switch for the high speed on the motor function. I can now flip the seperate switch (hidden in my ash tray) and have high speed whenever I want), regardless of what the fan switch speed is set to on the ac control panel. Its a temp fix, but I would still like to have it work properly.

High speed blower operation is probably the simplest of all fan speeds to explain. The resistor stack is bypassed while in HI, so only the blower relay and fan speed switch are involved.

It goes like this:

When high speed is selected, power is supplied directly from the switch to the positive side of the relay's operating coil - on the ORN 52 lead. If the relay is good and power is applied to the coil, it pulls in (provided the coil's negative terminal is properly grounded - by the BLK 150 lead). This causes the high speed contacts to close.

The line (inlet) side of the high speed contact set is wired directly to the RH post on the firewall junction block (RED 2). Wired this way, the line side of the relay's contact set should always see full battery voltage. (BTW - if there is an aftermarket inline fuse involved, up by the FWJB in the RED 2 lead is where it would be located.)

The other side of the contacts (the load side) is wired directly from the relay to the blower motor windings (on PPL 65).

When the contacts close, full battery voltage is supplied to the blower windings and it operates at high speed.

So as you can see, you only need 4 things to be right for high speed operation. Check for:

1. 12 VDC on the ORN lead at the relay (with the speed switch in HI)

2. Continuity from the relay to ground (on BLK 150)

3. 12 VDC on the RED 2 at the relay (hot at all times)

4. Continuity from the relay to the blower terminal (on PPL 65)

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metalmechanic