Best radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
1) What is the best radiator, money no object? (i'm looking at Mishimoto....)

2) Best radiator for the money/decent (non-crap) autoparts store radiator?

Thanks.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
A lot of guys run spectra radiators with plastic tanks, from what I’ve heard they’re pretty decent. I’m running one as well and my buddy has got one in his 77. Otherwise I’d probably go for a “rebuilt” oem brass and copper radiator, they’re about the same price as the new manufacture aluminum rads. If it’s from a reputable dealer, where you know it’ll be right and if it isn’t they’ll exchange easy, then you can’t lose with a 4 core oem radiator

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
A lot of guys run spectra radiators with plastic tanks, from what I’ve heard they’re pretty decent. I’m running one as well and my buddy has got one in his 77. Otherwise I’d probably go for a “rebuilt” oem brass and copper radiator, they’re about the same price as the new manufacture aluminum rads. If it’s from a reputable dealer, where you know it’ll be right and if it isn’t they’ll exchange easy, then you can’t lose with a 4 core oem radiator

Great, but where do find one?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
X2 on the OEM. Since we’re on this topic, did the Harrison division make the factory radiators until they merged into Delphi during the GMT400 days? If so, that’s pretty cool. Back to the topic at hand, check eBay and Partshotlines.com. I’m going back to a brass/cuprous OEM rad on my car, and I ordered one on eBay for $70. The seller had high marks, and I’ll see the radiator Friday hopefully so I can report back. Aluminum/plastic aren’t worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on. The tubes don’t hold up where they meet the tanks, plastic petcocks are a joke, and I’m actually having a problem with mine spraying coolant once in a blue moon from around the lower hose even though the hose is new, and it’s clamped properly. I hope to see that problem disappear when the hose goes around a piece of metal instead of a recycled water bottle.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I have an aluminum Harrison replacement. Best thing I ever did to the truck. Copper/brass radiators used to fail on an almost annual basis. Never again.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I should disclaim that my aforementioned admonishment is just an opinion. Other threads have taught me that we’re pretty split when it comes to radiator preferences.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
In my case, I think the mega-radiators on the diesels were more prone to failure than the gas engine radiators. YMMV.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Summit carries remanifactured rads. I agree as well, it’s split pretty much 50/50 on radiator choice opinions, i feel like it’s basically however lucky you are, for radiators these days lol

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Link/s?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I've had a stock 3 row copper radiator for several years, and it worked fine unless under a heavy load (A/C on, very hot weather, etc.). However, it never overheated; it just got hotter than I prefer (230-235?).

I damaged my old radiator when I had it out to replace the cam and heads, so I ordered a Champion CC161 3 row aluminum radiator from Jegs for $235. This new radiator has been much better than what I had before.

While recharging the A/C I had the truck idling in 90 degree weather for at least an hour, and the temp ran about 190 degrees. I took it on the road for a high speed run last week in similar weather, with the A/C going, and it never exceeded 192 degress.

I also have a stock full shroud and metal OEM fan, Hayden severe duty fan clutch, Stewart stage one high flow water pump, and a 195 degree high flow thermostat. The engine is an SBC 350 with aluminum heads.

Bruce

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Yes, i'm leaning towards Champion at the moment.

2) Anyways, this might be a good business idea for someone (i can't do it myself because i don't have the guts); But it seems radiator quality for older gm vehicles is iffy these days. There may be a market for a good basic radiator for older (like 60's-90's) gm cars/trucks? The specialty companies have got the aluminum market covered, but i'm talking about a basic, dependable unit.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
You can spend a lot of money on an aluminum radiator, and it was a pleasant surprise to find out how well the Champion radiator worked.

Several vendors (Spectra, OSC, Champion) have an xx161 version of their radiators to replace the stock GM 3 row, and others have xx360, xx165, xx729, xx730, etc. The xx161 and xx360 versions appear to have a 17" tall core, while many of the others have a 19-21" core. The thickness varies based on the number of rows.

I'm not sure which size radiator is the most common and most standard for a basic GM radiator. It appears that the 17" tall radiator was used in GM pickup trucks up to about '76, and then they went to the taller radiator. In most trucks you can compensate for width and thickness by changing out the rubber pads, but you are usually stuck with a certain height that fits unless you change the top support bracket.

Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666