Best Flowmaster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
You can always add in resonators if the in cab drone is too much for you. I tried two different mufflers on my jeep and even the mellower of them (flowmaster hush power) was intolerable on the freeway 1600-2200 RPM range. I added in a flowmaster resonator & it still sounds good when I stab the throttle but really mellowed out the idle and freeway RPM range.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-15150s

82BBC20

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado
Engine Size
I ran flow masters for many years but switched to magnaflow’s now and really like the deep mellow sound especially with a h pipe installed! I’ve got 18” lengths on my 82 C20 454 with all 3” pipe & get a lot of compliments on how it sounds!

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I like the 40 series with an H pipe.
Had this on my '72 Nova and it sounded great on a simple mild small block.

Current set up on my truck with its no compression 454 is a set of Jones Flowpack single chamber mufflers in a 2-1/2 inch exhaust that stops just before the axle.
This truck has always been oddly quiet.
It will be getting a fresh set of heads that will up the compression a full point to 9-1 and then we will be putting a full 3 inch exhaust on it.
Then it will be getting a set of 3 inch 40 series mufflers as well as a set of high flow 3 inch Magnaflow cats as I have to run them to pass the DEQ sniffer test.

The current aftermarket cats work as a great resonator as well as cleaning up the fumes...

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Flowmaster makes a reasonably-priced convertor I've always wanted to try - so the exhaust wouldn't stink.
The cat-less exhaust smell is 100% intolerable to me, there's no reason for it...it won't turn your 40 year old truck into a race car. It's a fool's errand - much like removing smog pumps, egr deletes, etc.

You must be registered for see images attach

the idea I want to try is to install one Flowmaster cat IN the H-pipe.

Last edited:

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
We have a Flowmaster Y pipe and cat on our 1995 Sub now and it works like a champ.
Couldn't pass before and then after it passed with flying colors.

Confused

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If I were to run a Flowmaster it would be the Flow FX ( knockoff magnaflow ). If I wanted the chambered muffler sound it would be either the 50 series big block or the 70 series for me.

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
Flowmaster makes a reasonably-priced convertor I've always wanted to try - so the exhaust wouldn't stink.
The cat-less exhaust smell is 100% intolerable to me, there's no reason for it...it won't turn your 40 year old truck into a race car. It's a fool's errand - much like removing smog pumps, egr deletes, etc.

You must be registered for see images attach

I have a question to the guys running cats. Do you still have the air pump in service ? I would like to run cats on my truck. The problem is I have no air pump and the cats would be positioned far back in the exhaust stream. I'm not sure they would light off.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
But Perry, loud pipes save lives. Ain't you read the bumper stickers?

:rofl:
@bucket just caught up to this..............My eyes are also bad .......can't see the bumper stickers......don't care!!!!!.....lol

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
There's not a single Blowmaster that I'd even consider running, they all suck lol. I've had 40s, 44s, Super 40s and 50 series. They all drone like a **** and rust out after a while, end up having a chamber break loose and rattle. Magnaflow, Borla, Corsa are all better options IMO

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
There's not a single Blowmaster that I'd even consider running, they all suck lol. I've had 40s, 44s, Super 40s and 50 series. They all drone like a **** and rust out after a while, end up having a chamber break loose and rattle. Magnaflow, Borla, Corsa are all better options IMO
Personally, not a Flowmaster fan.
Got the Magnaflows and really like the idle and cruising sound.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Personally, not a Flowmaster fan.
Got the Magnaflows and really like the idle and cruising sound.

It's funny how personal taste can differ with exhaust sounds. I'll take the drone of a 40 series Flowmaster over the ho-hum sound of a Magnaflow any day, lol.

But there's also some really good options out there that are either the best of both worlds, or a mix of the two sounds. There's way more out there than the typical Flowmaster or Magnaflow.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
It's funny how personal taste can differ with exhaust sounds. I'll take the drone of a 40 series Flowmaster over the ho-hum sound of a Magnaflow any day, lol.

But there's also some really good options out there that are either the best of both worlds, or a mix of the two sounds. There's way more out there than the typical Flowmaster or Magnaflow.
Yessir, and my same exhaust system (350 & 2 1/2" with Magnaflows) sounds much different in my 2 buddies trucks that have LS engines.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size

Agreed. I have friends that just adore flow 40s dumped in front of the axle and I won't even ride in something if it's set up like that. I like loud, high pitched and raspy over boomy and droney

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Look look look...let's be clear. A Flownaster is NOT " droney" in and of itself.
Anything dumped under the bed is gonna have it's sound manipulated.
Yes, I'm sticking up for them. :)
I think some of our experiences stem from poor installation. Planning a proper exhaust system requires just that- planning.
Some readers will recall my enthusiasm of "H pipes".
If the tailpipes exit traditionally, there is no drone. Don't blame the mufflers!

H pipes are for the.win. Scavenging rules! :headbang:
But hey, if you are a kid /teenager/ other and want drone then yeah, cut the tailpipes off and let the sound bounce around under the bed but dont point at Flowmaster when those issues consist of "misuse and abuse" coupled with improper installation.

getcha a balance pipe and it will make 10? times more "power" than deleting a smog pump.
There is a right and a wrong way to do everything - cutting off your catalytic convertor isn't the answer for more power, in example.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
92 X-Ray