Bed not level HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheMovingBox

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
400 sbc
Hey square body junkies. I am new to this forum and have probably a dumb question. Just purchased an 83 sierra classic. I noticed that the passenger side of the bed slopes down toward the rear. The frame is straight without bends. I am posting a pic of the only part of the frame that looks contorted. Since, assuming the frame is straight from my inspection, i was thinking this issue could be related to the suspension. Am i on the right track or could the suspension cause my bed to be unlevel. Thanks for the help.

Here is the pic. It appear to be a crossmember of sort that bolts to the rear port of the frame just above the rear diff.

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
The leaf springs in my 79 sag and my bed leans. It could be the body mounts for the bed also

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Holy F*CK dude, somebody stole your spare tire!

TheMovingBox

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
400 sbc
Its in the bed, lol!!! I wondered what that was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The bed is supported by - and bolted to - the frame rails. There is a series of cross rails (welded to the underside of the bed floor) between the bed and frame.

Due to various design considerations, the frame rails are not straight in the vertical plane. They are shaped, and rise about 3" in the middle - as they pass over the axle:

You must be registered for see images attach

The floor of the bed - of course - is flat and straight along it's entire run. To accommodate for these dis-similar contours, the height of the cross rails (discussed above) is reduced in the high areas of the rails:

Should one side of a cross rail waste away and collapse, the bed will no longer be supported in that area. The result is an unlevel bed floor.

I am not saying this is your problem but it is a possibility.

Try to identify where the loss of overall height is actually occurring. A good place to begin is frame height:

Park the truck on a surface that is solid, flat & level. Measure the distance from the floor/ground to the upper surface of each frame rail. Do it at a convenient spot and at the same point on each side:

Compare the two results and note whether there is sufficient difference to account for the uneven appearance of your bed.

If the frame rail heights are the same (or reasonably close), it would seem to indicate a collapsed bed cross rail. More likely it take a couple of collapsed adjacent rails to allow the bad to sag enough to be noticeable.

If you find that the tops of the frame rails not at the same height from one side to another - that would indicate a suspension issue. Unfortunately suspension analysis is beyond the scope of this post (I am sick of typing) and you will have to come back for help.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
My 84 regular cab 2wd bed was slightly twisted as well when I acquired the truck. Over time and with use, the bed will twist and sometimes the frame will twist when overloaded or unevenly weighed down with cargo. After taking some measurements on a level and flat surface, I found it necessary to remove the front mounting bolt in the bed. Once removed I stacked a few fender washers between the frame and the underside of the bed. With the washers installed, the mounting bolt secured, I was able to raise the bed height in the front drivers side section by 1/4" with the washers. Now the bed is back to level and doesn't bother me any more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76