Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I'm looking for some insight on whether or not I should bed line my truck bed or not.
I have an 86 GMC Sierra k15 shortbed. My bed doesnt have a dent in it at all, no rust, but it is shiny bare metal in the back from 35 years of use. Now I can't much stand the plastic bed liners that just pop in. Personally, I've seen a lot of them, and I think they all look like crap, they dont fit well, they ruin the paint underneath anyway, and they're not comfortable if you have to get in the back. I'm thinking more along the lines of the roll on Rustoleum stuff in a can.
My biggest question is will the roll on stuff hold up under wear and tear. I've watched a few review videos on YouTube, but most are guys with payment princesses that are afraid to scratch it.
Mine is more of a dirt road slidin, country boy's truck, and I use it for hauling rock, dirt, wood, car parts, ect. all the time, and I dont know if the liner will hold up to shovels loading and unloading, and stuff sliding in and out.
Also, will this affect the value of it? It is an unmolested factory duel tank short bed with no rust, and I've heard that this stiff is nearly impossible to remove if you ever change your mind.
I want to make it look better than what it is, make it more durable, and help preserve the bare metal from rusting.
Just looking for some thoughts from any of you that have bed liners, and what your thoughts on it are.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Forget the roll-on bedliner stuff, it's all complete garbage IMHO. It's far to thin to protect from dents and it wears thin and ends up looking terrible.

I personally like the heavy rubber mats the best. Durable and easily removable.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I wouldn't use the roll or spray on you get at auto parts stores. As bucket said they just don't work as well. If you're not selling the truck or bed I don't see it causing a 'value' issue. And even if you sell in the future, I think most people will be ok with it - I know I would as long as it was a name brand like LineX.

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
I recently did my bed with Herculiner and would not do it again. It is a PIA to work with. The only reason I used the stuff was because the other services were not available here. I have had Rhino Lining done on a couple trucks, trailer fenders, etc., and those coatings appear superior.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
$100 for a rubber mat? Easy decision. Get tired of the mat? Toss it, or better yet use it in front of your workbench. Don't have a workbench? Build one, so the mat won't go to waste. Ain't life simple?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I've used Line-X and it holds up well. Some companies are offering color matched spray-in bedliner. Once I paint my truck I'll have it done, but I'm not sure if I'll have it go under or over the rail.

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you can get a quality spray-in bedliner similar to how it comes from the factory on the new trucks, it is worth it IMO. I have a 2018 pickup with a factory spray bedliner and it takes a beating. Takes scratches super well and is really thick and grippy for shoes. I have not managed to go through the bedliner anywhere and it still looks brand new.

I just wrapped up the removal of some 20 year old bedliner from my square and it is a bear of a job. I found a paint stripper that works after doing some research and it took multiple coats of stripper to remove it all. The scraping and clean up of the remains of the bedliner after the stripper works it's magic is just nasty and takes forever. So it can be done and it isn't difficult, just time consuming. For what it's worth, on my square I will be going with a rubber mat after it comes back from paint.

45tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
I’d say paint it and have a rubber mat as the first option. If you really want it lined, have it professionally done (the coating is put on thicker and more evenly than you can do yourself) I’m pleased with my liner, but I also have a mat. The liner material is really durable and looks good if done right. The liner in mine is about 14yrs old and still looks decent.

Last edited:

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350

Forget the roll-on bedliner stuff, it's all complete garbage IMHO. It's far to thin to protect from dents and it wears thin and ends up looking terrible.

I personally like the heavy rubber mats the best. Durable and easily removable.

Yeah i agree with Andy, i have a heavy mat and it is pretty nice for hauling for me. Although i do basic hauling, nothing crazy because yes it is a show truck. . . now my brothers truck he had the clean bed blasted, primed and raptor lined (Rhino Lined from where i'm from, a step above generic raptor). He uses it hard and yeah you'll get slight wear and tear over the years and loads. He has a piece of plywood on the floor of his bed too for even more protection so the heavy heavy **** won't hurt the liner. When he's hauling dirt, mulch, gravel etc he'll put in a slide in liner on top of that just so it's not as messy and shovels out easier with the plastic liner. And i guarantee that bed ain't got a stitch of rust.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’d say paint it and have a rubber mat as the first option. If you really want it lined, have it professionally done (the coating is put on thicker and more evenly than you can do yourself) I’m pleased with my liner, but I also have a mat. The liner material is really durable and looks good if done right. The liner in mine is about 14yrs old and still looks decent.

Need more pic of this truck!!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm looking for some insight on whether or not I should bed line my truck bed or not.

Nice truck!
What do you plan on doing to the body? Not sure I'd refinish the "inside" of a truck bed when the outside is old paint.
What make you think after 35 years of no rust that it now needs to be protected in New Mexico? Are you moving to the rust belt with the truck?
Bedliner, DIY stuff is crap, waste of time and effort and a good way to piss of the next owner, after you get so pissed off at yourself for doing it that you sell the truck.
A professional bedliner application won't ruin the "value" at all IMO, although if you're planning on selling an "original" truck, it may not be the next buyers preference. And after you use the bedliner for years it ain't goin to look all pretty and show condition if your plans are to have a valuable orig truck.
Truck is a 1986, so anything you do, the original paint is suspect for peeling off the primer. Surprised it hasn't inside the bed anywhere, actually, so sanding to primer or stripping off is the only right way before paint or bedliner.
If you're actually worried about rust, it will come from the underside and the seams where the old busted up seam sealer is. Best protection from rust $ would be sealing/painting the underside and replace the seam sealer in the bed.

After that, it's up to you, but if I was intent on re-doing the inside of the bed, a quart of quality matching single stage paint and plywood or a bed mat is what I'd do. I'd save the remainder of the $500 or more that it will cost to get it Line-x or Rhino coated unless it becomes a "show truck that does work."

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
When I got my truck painted they agreed to do the bedliner for $300. It turned out really good, not original at all of course but the bed had lots of dents and surface rust from years of working hard on a farm and hauling rocks and I wanted something to help preserve it a bit.

Pretty happy overall though it scratches off and doesn't keep the pristine look as it had when it was brand new of course.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78