BBC cylinder head opinions..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
The 049 are good heads and will support over 600hp with one basic simple (ish) mod...
Larger exhaust valve and open the bowl up.
Of course there is a bit more to it, like mill the exhaust guide bosses down and even with the stock intake valve, the bowl
can be opened up as well.
In my opinion (and I'm seeing this on a few other guys engines, BBC) you don't need to build 600+ hp in order to benefit from heads that will flow enough to support this. It seems even a daily driver stump puller low rpm BB will benefit... I don't understand why this would be, and I can't confirm that it's true, but so far from what I'm watching go down seems to be the case.

And one last point to illuminate, the engines I'm talking about are on propane. That might be what matters most, as pane only seems to know how to expand. As it goes from liquid to gas it expands... and it's warming up and further expansion, then gets burned and continues to expand. Of course so does gasoline, but does it expand as much as propane? Still have so much to learn..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare