Battery Conversion/Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Since it was -2 with -36 wind chill here today, the truck wouldn't crank without a jump.

My positive side post battery terminal is rusted on. It will not budge and now the bolt is rounded. I just want to convert to a top post since they are superior in my opinion.

I haven't messed with the cables on this truck and wasn't sure how they go on the starter. My + cable disappears behind the alternator, does it run straight to the starter or branch off somewhere? Anyone have a pic of how it connects to starter. I will be doing this outside in the snow and the quicker the better you know.

Also, I see the negative cable has a small ground ring terminal that goes to the radiator support. I cannot find one like this at my Adv Auto.

I feel dumb asking this since I thought I knew the truck inside & out.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The positive cable should go straight to starter terminal from the battery. I'd check somewhere else for that negative cable with the extra ground. It should be available.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The positive cable should go straight to starter terminal from the battery. I'd check somewhere else for that negative cable with the extra ground. It should be available.

they all have a butt connector so you can cut the ring terminal wire thats on there already... I don't want to do that

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Now that you mention the butt connector, I remember seeing them that way. They will work well but you need to use crimping pliers to crimp the connector.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yeah you may not have a choice if that is the only one you can find with the butt connector. The red cable should be a heavy cable going to the starter and a lighter cable branching off to the alternator. Let me dig up a diagram....

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
well I wasn't bout to lay in the snow and route new top post cable. Guy at AA suggested new side post bolts to last until it gets warmer and I can convert to top post. I yanked old ones out after I used vice grips & hammer to get the + loosened. Put new bolts in and the 800CCA battery in and it fired up no prob. It warmed up to 12 so that helped LOL.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Factory routing - positive cable - from battery to starter solenoid:

You must be registered for see images attach

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
those pics are exactly what I needed. Mine still has all those clips amazingly.

Does anyone know the length of the cable? AA has 65" and 78".

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Could you take the old one off and measure it? Or maybe use one of those measuring tapes to follow along the wire while it's installed to see which is closest to your measurement?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You picked a good time ask that question. I just pulled my starter and the positive cable a few minutes ago.

The cable (due to the age of the truck) is certainly not original but it fits perfectly. It's not so short that it can't be tucked into the frame rail - and also not so long that it looks like somebody just slapped anything in. It fits the original routing path nicely and looks like it belongs there.

It is 56" long - including the end connections.

It has the OEM type of connector on the starter end:

This type of connector has 2 tabs at 90 degree angles to the face. These tabs fit into slots in the solenoid casing and help prevent the mounting stud from rotating while tightening the nut. If the stud is allowed to rotate while taking up on the nut:

1. The nut won't get tight enough to make a good electrical connection (and can back off over time)
2. If the stud spins - while attempting to tighten the nut - the wire attached to it can get twisted. If it gets twisted to far, it can break. The connection between the stud and the motor windings will be lost.

These OEM positive cables are nearly impossible to buy new, so if you have one - hold on to it. If you see one at the JY - grab it.

Last edited:

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks, apparently I have the OEM cable, maybe I will just clean it up super good and put some dielectric on it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Great info

Maybe the OEM cable ends can be removed and used onto new cables

I might try this with my ground cable in the spring

boostdtalon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-20
Engine Size
5.7L
Man, NC sure has gotten cold this winter. I'm originally from Mount Airy. Glad it's been in the 40's here.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Man, NC sure has gotten cold this winter. I'm originally from Mount Airy. Glad it's been in the 40's here.

Tuesday morning was -11 and wind chill of -40

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graymoon