Awd gmt400?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
There would have to be for AWD wouldn't there? How is wheel spin detected?

So, I've been playing with this idea in my head of building an AWD 1988 Sierra. Basically building a full sized Syclone.

My train of thought here is getting a 4x4 rolling chassis and tossing the rear axle in favor of a 5 lug 2WD axle.

Astro/Safari transfer case.

Astro/Safari front hubs to keep it 5 lug and looking factory.

Now my main dilemma is I want to use RWD wheels (which is why I want the 2WD axle) like the AWD Astros but DO NOT want them sticking out up front.

Sy/Tys and Astro/Safaris never had wheel spin detectors unless it was part of the ABS?

I need to go study some AWD Astros at the junkyard if I can find some and see how the front hubs and suspension is set up as they still use the RWD wheels with AWD front suspension.

Crazy? I am.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Not crazy, I like the idea. I guess both of us could be crazy.

I see the front hubs/wheels being a big big complication for what you want to do. I seem to remember the Astro AWD being setup similar to the S10. I think no matter what parts combo you come up with you will be stuck with a wide front track, which would be ok IF you can run a front bearing with the 5 on 4.75 pattern. Coupled with a pair of adapters on the rear, you could run a set of late model Corvette or Camaro wheels. I know what you are hoping for though, I bet you would like to run a set of the Tahoe Limited wheels.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
If ANYBODY could do it RETRO CAN. :popcorn:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
awesome idea!!! I always forget about your '88 project. I think this would be awesome!

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
If i rememeber monday we have a AWD Astro in the yard that we dissassembled about 4 months ago. Ill get some pics for ya.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size

I see the front hubs/wheels being a big big complication for what you want to do. I seem to remember the Astro AWD being setup similar to the S10. I think no matter what parts combo you come up with you will be stuck with a wide front track, which would be ok IF you can run a front bearing with the 5 on 4.75 pattern. Coupled with a pair of adapters on the rear, you could run a set of late model Corvette or Camaro wheels. I know what you are hoping for though, I bet you would like to run a set of the Tahoe Limited wheels.

Ah, but the Astros were 5x5 BC...So if they are the same as an S10, I will need to dive further in to research. If I can somehow get them set back a little, it might just work.

I just need to research it. Smurph, those pics will be awesome.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ah, but the Astros were 5x5 BC...So if they are the same as an S10, I will need to dive further in to research. If I can somehow get them set back a little, it might just work.

I just need to research it. Smurph, those pics will be awesome.

I don't remember if it was the same, but I'm pretty sure it was similar. Pics will be great to see, this has me very curious too.

You got a Sy/Ty motor too don't you? I though you mentioned that before?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I do. But I am likely still going with the TPI or if our new friend in Brazil can ship me up the induction from a EFI 250, I would so go with that on a 292.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Now I know that the transfer case is the same as the Bravada and Sy/Ty...

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

Would look bad ass with some 17" Iroc wheels.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Unfortunately there are GMT400s all over here with IROC wheels. They look okay but not my style. :/

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
I'd love to have an AWD GMT800 3/4T conv van....I will someday when they come down in value. Friend has a blown GMC '800 AWD ext cab short, and it's WICKED. Might save yourself some trouble ;)

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Kinda late to the party, but better late than never. Swapping hubs in attempt to run 5x5 2wd wheels isn't going to get you far. IF the stub shaft fits the inner splines, you're going to have to come up with calipers and rotors to match the new 5 lug hubs. After all of that, you're still going to have to contend with the fact that the front suspension is wider to accommodate the 8.25" diff and the half shafts. Seems to me you'd be money ahead to just buy a set of aftermarket wheels with the proper specs and be done with it.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Yes. I've been thinking about using later 6 lug GMC factory wheels in all honesty. There are some pretty nice looking 17 and 18 inch wheels. I like the factory 20s, but don't want to go that big.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dob555