Aux tranny cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6.2diesel

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
6.2l
Anyone ever done this before? I'm going to do it for my towing rig. A 1986 c30 dually 6.2l with a thm700

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Probably 3/4 of the guys on here have one. Just get a good quality aluminum one. It will greatly enhance the life of your tranny.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've ran the trucool 40k for years. Heat Is the number one killer of transmissions

You must be registered for see images attach

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Just keep an eye on the rubber trans fluid lines to the cooler, they get brittle with age and heat cycling. When they burst, its not only a huge mess, but a fire hazzard ( I experienced this first hand a few months ago). One of my trans cooler hoses split open and sprayed trans fluid under the hood and onto my exhaust manifolds. A small fire started and melted spark plug wire #1. Fortunately not only was I close to home, but I also have a fire extinguisher in my truck.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have a small one due to lack of space with factory oil cooler

Last edited:

6.2diesel

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
6.2l
Could i run it from the factory cooling lines that go to the radiator, then go through a aftermarket cooler, then back to that return line goes to the transmission

6.2diesel

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
6.2l
Would it be over kill to get one with a fan on it? Also, does it pay to get a trans temp cooler?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Could i run it from the factory cooling lines that go to the radiator, then go through a aftermarket cooler, then back to that return line goes to the transmission

Yes you run it through the rad then through the aux cooler and then return to the tranny. This gets the fluid up to temp if its cold and then the aux cooler keeps it from returning to the tranny too hot.

like this:

Just click on it to view it :(

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Would it be over kill to get one with a fan on it? Also, does it pay to get a trans temp cooler?

The ones with a fan are temperature controlled. So that would be a good choice if you don't mind the $. The fan cooler will be better then the non fan setup because you know for sure that it wont go past a certain temp.

But something like either 1Low or yevgenievich posted would work very well. In fact Im thinking Im gonna upgrade to one like what 1Low has.

If your doing lots of towing a small oil cooler would be a good addition as well. Some of our squares were factory equipped with oil coolers.

6.2diesel

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
6.2l
I'm thinking something from jegs? They have ones rated for up to 30,000 weight and that should be plenty to do. Around 135 bucks for that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76