Automatic to manual transmission swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardCranium

Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
I've got an 86' GMC 1500 rear wheel drive. The factory automatic transmission has been giving me headaches. I've pulled it and I have a 76' Saginaw 4 speed manual transmission from a C15 that I intend to install. Of course the 86' has no existing clutch pedal. I have the clutch pedal from the 76' but I'm unsure how to go about mounting it. I wonder if I'm missing something from under the dash of the 76' I don't know what kind of bracket or support system it would have had. This is a linkage type clutch I'm talking about. I wonder about changing it to hydraulic if possible. With transmission in general I'm a little outside my wheel house. I guess right now my biggest question is what do I need to do to get a clutch pedal installed on my 86' gmc
what kind of bracket actually held the clutch pedal and I'm having some trouble finding much info it. This is a linkage system clutch I'm talking ab

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've got an 86' GMC 1500 rear wheel drive. The factory automatic transmission has been giving me headaches. I've pulled it and I have a 76' Saginaw 4 speed manual transmission from a C15 that I intend to install. Of course the 86' has no existing clutch pedal. I have the clutch pedal from the 76' but I'm unsure how to go about mounting it. I wonder if I'm missing something from under the dash of the 76' I don't know what kind of bracket or support system it would have had. This is a linkage type clutch I'm talking about. I wonder about changing it to hydraulic if possible. With transmission in general I'm a little outside my wheel house. I guess right now my biggest question is what do I need to do to get a clutch pedal installed on my 86' gmc
what kind of bracket actually held the clutch pedal and I'm having some trouble finding much info it. This is a linkage system clutch I'm talking ab
The pedal bracket itself is different you need the whole pedal assembly,and linkage,including bellcrank from a 73-86

RichardCranium

Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
I appreciate it. I still have access to the donor truck. You have just confirmed what someone else has told me, again I sincerely appreciate that. As I understand it the brake and clutch pedals both mount basically together on the same bracket, the bracket bring saddled over the steering column. I hope to make down to get it this weekend. I'm honestly not sure what you mean by bell crank. When I went and pulled the transmission, to tell the truth I was kinda flying by the seat of my pants. I have some inclination towards, but very little experience with really anything transmission, transfer case, rear end or steering. So when I pulled the transmission I took it and I guess you'd say basically anything attached to it. When I brought the clutch pedal at the time I didn't realize that it was basically all one assembly with the brake pedal. I've downloaded an old GM service manual that shows it and I'm about positive that I'll be missing some parts. I'll have most but not all. When I have it I'll try to post (I am very technologically challenged) some pictures of the assembly or what I have if it at least. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you or anyone has any info you could arm me with at any time