Auto Meter Fuel Gauge Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mvpmp90

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Picked up a '77 C10 last week for free from a friend and now I'm diving deep into all of the things I want to do. First thing is get my fuel gauge working properly.

The truck has all Auto Meter gauges, and the only one that doesn't work properly is the fuel gauge. It reads full when full, but empty in the tank reads about half on the gauge.

I did some searching and digging and found that the 0-90 ohm gauge is correct for this truck, so what should I check as far as sending unit etc.

Thanks in advance for all the help and advice!

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Post pics of the gauges! That seems like it could even be an old sender. But yeah I’d check ground(s) first.

mvpmp90

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ground connection?

Post pics of the gauges! That seems like it could even be an old sender. But yeah I’d check ground(s) first.

I'll post pics tonight! Is there a good resource to show where the ground points would be for various things on the truck? I'll check all of those first thing!

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I have an AutoMeter fuel gauge in my truck and it's not 100% accurate. Mine reads about 1/4 when it's damn near down to fumes. I replaced the ground wire from the tank to the frame and cleaned up the connections and the pin for the signal wire on the top of sending unit and it's made it more stable but still not more accurate level-wise. But then again, the factory gauge in the dash never worked from the day I bought the truck so i'm just happy to have a gauge that reads somewhat close. Lol I wondered if replacing the sending unit would make a difference and I suppose i'm going to find out this winter as I intend to install new lines, tanks and sending units this winter. The only thing i'd mention is to first make sure the autometer gauge is the right ohm range.