Attention 4 speed owners!!! What part is this???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77scottsdale1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I need to know what this is. It bolts up on the cab and looks like it runs to the frame. I cant find anything that it could hook up to and it looks like my cab is bobbing up and down when I press my clutch pedal in because it's not tying the cab and frame together.

You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Um, if your cab is moving when the clutch pedal is pressed, you have bigger isues than a linkage. That piece is not what should be holding your cab to the frame.

77scottsdale1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Is it possible for a pressure plate to become seized? Or maybe new cab mounts?

77scottsdale1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Um, if your cab is moving when the clutch pedal is pressed, you have bigger isues than a linkage. That piece is not what should be holding your cab to the frame.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Is it possible for a pressure plate to become seized? Or maybe new cab mounts?

If your cab is moving that much and that easily, you have some serious structural issues with your mounts. Until the cab is securely fastend to the frame again, the entire geometry of your clutch linkages will be constantly variable, and impossible to troubleshoot.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Looks like the rod that goes in the front of the rear wheel well to stiffen the bedside. Or the rod that goes from the t-case to the trans but looks too small to be that one.

77scottsdale1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
If your cab is moving that much and that easily, you have some serious structural issues with your mounts. Until the cab is securely fastend to the frame again, the entire geometry of your clutch linkages will be constantly variable, and impossible to troubleshoot.
Ok thanks. I know the mounts are rusted out, and the original rubber is junk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Is there a brace that goes from the booster to the firewall that helps keep that area due to the extra stress of a clutch? Seams logical to me being it's shaped the way it is. But I'm no manual expert.

77scottsdale1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Is there a brace that goes from the booster to the firewall that helps keep that area due to the extra stress of a clutch? Seams logical to me being it's shaped the way it is. But I'm no manual expert.
That's what I was thinking. I built a bracket for it today to just try

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I need to know what this is. It bolts up on the cab and looks like it runs to the frame. I cant find anything that it could hook up to and it looks like my cab is bobbing up and down when I press my clutch pedal in because it's not tying the cab and frame together.

Looks kind of like a badly mangled strut that runs from the bottom of the flywheel/flexplate cover to the bracket that is sandwiched between the engine block and clamshell?

Last edited:

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Ok thanks. I know the mounts are rusted out, and the original rubber is junk

You can take this advice for what it's worth.. If the simple act of depressing the clutch pedal causes the cab to shift position, you have some really serious structural problems.. Turning a corner or an impact could cause complete separation of the cab on it's mounts.. My best advice is to quit driving your truck and make repairs..

77scottsdale1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
You can take this advice for what it's worth.. If the simple act of depressing the clutch pedal causes the cab to shift position, you have some really serious structural problems.. Turning a corner or an impact could cause complete separation of the cab on it's mounts.. My best advice is to quit driving your truck and make repairs..
See the truck hasn't been on the road in nearly 15 years. I've never figured the issue with the clutch out. I have never driven the truck either. I'm just trying to get Otto depress the pressure plate. If it doesn't I'm going to buy a new clutch. I just want it to be able to drive in the winter for an off-road toy.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
See the truck hasn't been on the road in nearly 15 years. I've never figured the issue with the clutch out. I have never driven the truck either. I'm just trying to get Otto depress the pressure plate. If it doesn't I'm going to buy a new clutch. I just want it to be able to drive in the winter for an off-road toy.
Be a good idea to get the cab secured before getting into too rough a stuff wit the truck.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC

I have no idea what this means -- "I'm just trying to get Otto depress the pressure plate"???

Ordinarily, bad cab mounts don't present much of a problem.. But when they're so rusty and deteriorated so badly that the cab moves around.. If the cab moves with clutch pedal depression, it "kills" some of the linkage's ability to release the clutch.. Fix the cab mounts and I'll bet your clutch issue disappears...

If you'll permit me to use an analogy.. Suppose a truck has a broken motor mount.. Every time the truck accelerates, the engine "rears up" and the fan tears up the shroud.. A smaller diameter fan is not the solution.. Replace the motor mount and the fan no longer tears up the shroud...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMblood