Attempted Theft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schanen51

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 detroit diesel
Hey yall,

Someone tried to steal my damn truck last night. Forced his way in, and ****** up my ignition. As pissed as I am about it, I was being a little too trusting. Thankfully, with the cryptic method to starting my truck, I'm pretty sure he was unable to get it running. But now, I need help with getting my ignition system back together so I can move the damn thing. As far as I know, he just broke the outer bezel off. I've added a picture. Please help with how the hell to replace this part. Thank yall

Attachments

• 20170207_140150.jpg
    20170207_140150.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 144

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Remove the steering wheel and retainer plate. There is a small slot which you can depress with a very tiny screwdriver or scratch-awl and pull the cylinder assembly out.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Sometimes there are screws in there holding in the ignition cylinder. I guess it just depends. Oh, and maybe it's time to get a steering column lock guard. They'd prevent another lock cylinder or the column plastic from being mutilated, and they're a great visual deterrent.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 135

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would be devastated if someone stole my truck.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I don't know what I'd do. Having a narrower, small town perspective, stealing someone's vehicle for me is the most personal assault there is. More people than not disagree with that nowadays because they drive newer cars that would soon succumb to planned obsolescence anyways, they can't/won't work on their stuff, and the insurance company would compensate them. However, when you slave hours upon hours on an old car or truck to bring it back from being nearly destroyed or at least run down, and you eventually get it to the point where it looks and runs great, you really develop a personal connection with it during that time. And it and none of the time, energy, and money you put it can be replaced. There's a special place in hell for someone who would try to steal someone's older project because there's a good chance that it's a pet or family member to someone, not just a negligible, replaceable piece of material. Soapbox rant complete.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
******* ********* thieves! The complete lack of respect for someone else's property just irritates me beyond description.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Sorry to hear, that sucks the big one, hope they catch the POS and string him up.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
**** I actually hope they try to go back and you can catch them in the act. Around my house there has been a run of thieves looking for unlocked vehicles. We got some of them on video with my neighbors **** in their hands. I have no kind of soft spot for a ******* no working piece of **** thief. Get a damn job and buy your own ****. Stop trying to steal the working mans things we sweat, bleed and swear over.

Schanen51

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 detroit diesel
Remove the steering wheel and retainer plate. There is a small slot which you can depress with a very tiny screwdriver or scratch-awl and pull the cylinder assembly out.

Thanks man. I ordered the new ignition cylinder with new keys, so hopefully it comes quick so I can get her up and running.

Sometimes there are screws in there holding in the ignition cylinder. I guess it just depends. Oh, and maybe it's time to get a steering column lock guard. They'd prevent another lock cylinder or the column plastic from being mutilated, and they're a great visual deterrent.

Thanks for the heads up. How exactly does that lock guard work? I've never seen one before. Is it something that I have to take off all of the time before starting my truck?

Did you call the police and file a report?

If not, why not?

I have. Report filed. To make matters worse, they're writing parking tickets in the lot that I'm stranded in lol. Hopefully this is grounds to contest a parking citation!

I don't know what I'd do. Having a narrower, small town perspective, stealing someone's vehicle for me is the most personal assault there is. More people than not disagree with that nowadays because they drive newer cars that would soon succumb to planned obsolescence anyways, they can't/won't work on their stuff, and the insurance company would compensate them. However, when you slave hours upon hours on an old car or truck to bring it back from being nearly destroyed or at least run down, and you eventually get it to the point where it looks and runs great, you really develop a personal connection with it during that time. And it and none of the time, energy, and money you put it can be replaced. There's a special place in hell for someone who would try to steal someone's older project because there's a good chance that it's a pet or family member to someone, not just a negligible, replaceable piece of material. Soapbox rant complete.

I feel you. It makes me hate humanity... ******* ******** is right!

Thank y'all for the support. I went out and installed a killswitch yesterday. Monetary type, so you have to hold it to start it. I'm thinking about adding another SPST switch someone really hidden to **** with them a little more. Ironically, I was supposed to install my viper alarm the day it happened, so I went ahead and installed it yesterday. Shoulda, coulda, woulda installed it sooner :whymewhyme::whymewhyme::whymewhyme:
Anyhow, I do have a question about viper alarms if any of y'all have experience with them. It has a shock sensor, and for some reason, maybe of the mount location, I couldn't get the shock sensor to work. I locked myself inside my truck and tried to agitate it, as to simulate somebody ******* with my truck, and couldn't get the alarm to even chirp at me, let alone trigger the alarm. Any thoughts?

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
If you have it solid mounted and it doesn't work try to mount it looser to it will wiggle easier. Also have you set the sensitivity?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The lock guard is basically this relatively heavy clamshell that covers up the exposed plastic of the steering column and the ignition cylinder. It folds from the bottom and locks at the top with the tilt lever and turn signal stalk poking out. I'd say it's a more modern answer to the steering club. My mom had one on her Caprice in the nineties, but when she lost the key, my dad got a reciprocating saw and ended that club. I remember being a little kid and picking up one half of the destroyed club to inspect the carnage and burning the **** out of my hand. Anyways, I digress. You do have to take it off and put it on every time, but it takes literally five seconds. I keep the keys for mine on my key ring, and it's no biggie. I'll tell you this. It's a good visual deterrent, and this'll be the last lock cylinder you replace due to an attempted theft.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
It's a good visual deterrent, and this'll be the last lock cylinder you replace due to an attempted theft.

Dang. That's a powerful statement, nicely done!
Because of this thread, I started thinking more about stuff like this. A CLUB on eBay is near 17 bucks, reckon I'll pick one up.
Sounds like fun!
AND!

Lmao @ "period correct". Thats hot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000