Anyone use Purple Hornies + Longtube Headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Curious to find out if anyone uses longtube headers + purple hornies attached to the stock smogger heads. Looking to get this combo.

Thanks!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Because of the trans crossmember, you can't bolt mufflers right to the headers in most (if not all) cases. It's been done on a lot of cars though.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
If your reffering to the header mount then dump hories yes, i am gonna make my own version for my monte.
But Im building mine to LOOK like theres a muffler.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Because of the trans crossmember, you can't bolt mufflers right to the headers in most (if not all) cases. It's been done on a lot of cars though.

Well crap... There goes my money saving exhaust plans.

EDIT: is there a bolt exhaust kit I can buy that will be easy to install? I don't care if the muffler is turbo style or glass-pack. Thanks!

Last edited:

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well crap... There goes my money saving exhaust plans.

EDIT: is there a bolt exhaust kit I can buy that will be easy to install? I don't care if the muffler is turbo style or glass-pack. Thanks!

Not true, run it past the crossmember then connect them.

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'd just find a mom and pop exhaust shop, and have it done there. Explain what you wanna do, it'll come out cheaper. Than buying a bolt up exhaust and having some chain shop do it.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I'd just find a mom and pop exhaust shop, and have it done there. Explain what you wanna do, it'll come out cheaper. Than buying a bolt up exhaust and having some chain shop do it.

I doubt it. I had an '85 silverado and had exhaust work done. they wanted to charge $90 per side. This was not a chain shop, either.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Not true, run it past the crossmember then connect them.

I would if I could find a piece which mounted to the collector to allow a piece of tubing to be used. However, the whole point of getting the collector mounted muffs was to not have to worry about extra tubing. I've seen pics of R10's using this style muffler. It does hang down quite a bit. This would be ok with me since I have no plans in lowering the truck any.

MylesNT

Local Info Bum
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Really glad I found this before I tried this myself. Would have been real disappointed to have ordered some just to have them not bolt up.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
dynomas has kits and so do other companies that can bolt on.

as for bolting on header mufflers, NO, taking them back past the crossmember involves bending and making it work or welding not bolt on. We had 2 pieces of pipe about 3 ft. long and had to smash them upwards to get them to clear the trans crossmember to mount ANY muffler, on our 84 c10, the exhaust shop just put a small upward bend in them then straightened the pipes out further back to make it level.

Now some had a double hump type x member and might clear fine, but most were just one down one up type crossmembers and right in the stinking way.

Not to mention our summit brand which are flowtech long tubes angles downwards somewhat, and to run our pipes straight would hit the ground if we had ran them since they sloped downwards, meaning with like a 2 foot or so piece of pipe ran straight the muffler would drag, so it HAD to have a bend in it.

onetonfanatic

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
my cheap exhaust that sounds great

i have a 83 chevy c10 that i converted to a 4wd and made up my own 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40's i used long tube headers and went to napa auto parts since they sell exhaust pipe in 10 foot lengths so i picked that up and 4 3 inch 45 degree elbows and made up my own true dual exhaust im very happy how it turned out wasnt to hard or expensive i think it ran me like 85 bucks for the 10 foot piece of pipe and 4 elbows i mig welded all joints but 2 joints i used napas band clamps for simple removal of exhaust so it can be worked on or changed had to cut and open the angle of one of the 45 degree elbows then i welded it up to make the two mufflers evenly tucked up between the frame rails

Attachments

• waynes phone pic 248.jpg
    waynes phone pic 248.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 161
  • waynes phone pic 241.jpg
    waynes phone pic 241.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 124
  • waynes phone pic 250.jpg
    waynes phone pic 250.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 120

Forum statistics

Threads