Anyone use edelbrock universal EFI fuel sump Kit w 2 tanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tadkingnkc

Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 5.0
Anyone use edelbrock universal EFI fuel sump Kit w 2 tanks? Can it be done or are there additional parts needed?

chevytech87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Anyone use edelbrock universal EFI fuel sump Kit w 2 tanks? Can it be done or are there additional parts needed?
I’m in the middle of plumbing mine right now. No idea how well that’s gonna work out. I’ll keep you posted. I know depending on what pressure you have coming in to the sump you’ll have to regulate it down to what it says in the instructions. I called and asked if that was a suggestion or a safety thing, they seemed pretty adamant that you gotta follow that guideline.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
It seems like it would work perfectly if you are doing something like a holley Sniper system or Pro-Flow on an otherwise carbureted system. You would just swap the hard line from the mechanical fuel pump to the carburetor out for AN lines going from the mechanical pump to the sump and then out of the sump to the EFI.

Where it gets difficult is if you don't have a mechanical pump on the motor. If you are doing an LS swap or conversion from a TBI truck, you will need to have an additional regulator before the sump.. at which point it is really silly to even use the sump kit. You are better off just swapping the TBI fuel pumps for EP381's in the tank and leave everything else as-is. Most of the EFI systems have their own regulators and just need to be fed high pressure fuel, which the EP381 will do. If the EFI system you are using doesn't have it's own regulator system, then you just get an adjustable regulator(that you would have needed with the sump anyways) and be done with it.

The sump kit is really just a good way to do an EFI conversion on a carbureted vehicle that isn't also getting an EFI engine swapped in as well. If you don't have a mechanical fuel pump it becomes redundant.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have looked at using an EFI sump for my dual tanks, and the only question I have is how to handle the fuel return lines. I already have return lines on my mechanical fuel pump, and a six port solenoid that switches them. It would still work as designed for the mechanical pump.

If the regulator and pump for the fuel sump also needs a return line, do I need to run and switch another set of return lines? Depending on the pressure in the return from the sump, it could get complicated to find a solenoid to switch the return at the same time I switch from one tank to the other. Or maybe I’m just overthinking it.

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I have looked at using an EFI sump for my dual tanks, and the only question I have is how to handle the fuel return lines. I already have return lines on my mechanical fuel pump, and a six port solenoid that switches them. It would still work as designe for the mechanical pump.

If the regulator and pump for the fuel sump also needs a return line, do I need to run and switch another set of return lines? Depending on the pressure in the return from the sump, it could get complicated to find a solenoid to switch the return at the same time I switch from one tank to the other. Or maybe I’m just overthinking it.
I would switch to a two line mechanical pump(they were optional on all year squares) and then just run the feed out of the mechanical pump to the sump. Then, run the return from the EFI sump to the original return line on the frame rail that used to go to the three line mechanical pump.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Heres a quick screen grab of the instructions PDF from the EFI sump kit with some crude arrows to show what I'm talking about. I would use a rough ~100 micron filter between the mechanical pump and sump and then the one that Edelbrock includes in the kit between the sump and the fuel rail. The one edelbrock includes should be ~10 microns and it keeps a grenaded pump from taking out the EFI injectors.
You must be registered for see images attach

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I've been using the Edelbrock fuel sump for over 8 years. Haven't had any issues.

Like the diagram above, output of the mechanical fuel pump into the sump, then the sump goes to the TBI unit I have and there was also a return (from the overflow vent).

I also have dual tanks- no issues, didn't have to do anything special.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad