Anyone running a lift with a snow plow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gmule

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Fleetside long bed
Engine Size
To put it mildly my trucks suspension is hammered.
After checking out prices on suspension parts it looks like a lift kit would be the least expensive way to go since they come with everything I would need at a pretty reasonable price.

My issue is that I use my truck to plow snow and haul wood and other truck related stuff so I would want a small lift of like 2".
Does anyone here have any experience with a plow and a lift kit combo? Are some of the kits stiffer than others and could they handle the weight of a plow?

Greg

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Would also like to hear info on this. I know I've seen lots of lifted trucks with plows, but I dont know if they've got to drop the bottom mounts down, defeating the purpose of the lift in doing so, to make it all work.

I figured I'd do a 2" myself, and see how it worked. It may work better giving it a bit of rake, by lifting the back a bit more? My plan was a shackle flip in back, add a leaf 2" in front, and might be ok.

HAZZARDJOHN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Just park your truck on level ground with the plow if float, then measure the amount of travel left in the piston. I know my plow has about 8-10” of travel left on level ground (which since it is at an angle is compounded by the distance from the cylinder to the end of the plow). Then figure out how much higher your frame would be and see if you’d still have travel left. I seriously doubt 2” would make that much of a difference. Not to mention you could just lengthen the chain and if your plow is like mine you can adjust the plow angle.

Gmule

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Fleetside long bed
Engine Size
Would also like to hear info on this. I know I've seen lots of lifted trucks with plows, but I dont know if they've got to drop the bottom mounts down, defeating the purpose of the lift in doing so, to make it all work.

I figured I'd do a 2" myself, and see how it worked. It may work better giving it a bit of rake, by lifting the back a bit more? My plan was a shackle flip in back, add a leaf 2" in front, and might be ok.

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing.
I'm just not sure what front springs to use that will handle the abuse.

Gmule

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Fleetside long bed
Engine Size
Just park your truck on level ground with the plow if float, then measure the amount of travel left in the piston. I know my plow has about 8-10” of travel left on level ground (which since it is at an angle is compounded by the distance from the cylinder to the end of the plow). Then figure out how much higher your frame would be and see if you’d still have travel left. I seriously doubt 2” would make that much of a difference. Not to mention you could just lengthen the chain and if your plow is like mine you can adjust the plow angle.

My mount will allow my plow plenty of down travel if I change the position of the chain on the lift cylinder.

I am running a Meyer 7.5' with power angle

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I ran my 78 with 4" rancho springs and 33 12.50's for years with no problems with a western blade on it.All you have to do is raise the holes where the pins go that hook the blades frame to the truck and beef them out ,(took me about 2 hours) with some steel and a welder and I left the frame work on the truck alone and extended the chain a bit.The thing is you want to keep the blade and frame work flat otherwise it wants to fold over when you hit ice or old snow when it is angled upward. Just make sure you beef out the frame work at the pin pionts that you exteded, Works great for me and I still have a lifted ride , the old rancho's are holding up great as well

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Mine had 3 leaf springs in the front, and on 33 x 12.50s I couldn't get the pivot low enough. Mine is a 7.5' Western standard mount.

muddyman184

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
90 AND 82
Truck Model
K5,K20
Engine Size
theres a guy i know he has 76 shortbed stepside that has a 6"lift and 35s when he plows he puts his 33s on but its also an older unit with a setup that looks homemade from the 80s cause it hasnt changed since i remember it from the early 90s but he uses it every year next time i see it ill snap some picks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli