Anyone have any info/pics on stripping & painting dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awhile ago I saw a thread somewhere where the guy stripped his dash pad down to metal and painted it. That was years ago and I cant find any info on it so...anyone here done this?

-John

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Never seen it, but, I sure am interested!

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure its pretty simple but if I remember correctly he said the metal was pretty thin so you had to be careful with it. If I can't find the info I may just have to dig in and post up my own thread on it lol

-John

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Could it have been TVBlazer over on 67-72

I think he stripped it, covered it in fiberglass and painted it.

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
i would love to see this

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
you would have to cover it in something, the metal is just there as a base for foam and vinyl. With nothing but paint it would look like ASS. If mine gets much worse, we may find out though....

MONGOK5

Reaction score
THERE ARE SOME PAINT SUPPLIES IN LMCTRUCK.COM THAT ADHERE TO THESE KINDS OF INTERIORS SUCH AS VINYL, PLASTIC,WOOD,METAL ECT. CHECK IT OUT NOT TO BAD FOR THE PRICE LIKE 12$ A CAN.:wave:

Mr Clickerson

Reaction score
Sorry, but taking the foam and vinyl off the dash and just painting the bare metal would look like ****.

However, I recently repainted my dash pad (it's been 4 colors now... Originally red, then black, then silver, now blue) with SEM Wedgewood blue. I think it looks great, especially now that I repaired and detailed the dash bezel.

If you simply don't like the color, I would just paint it, and SEM's paint is the stuff to go with. Comes out light, so many coats are necessary, but the color is even, not splotchy, and looks great.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^that looks sweet dude^^^

My dash is cracked bad though. I'm starting to think the guy must have 'glassed it cause it looked nice and smooth and really good. Either way I have a parts truck with a cracked dash too so I think I'll strip it & see for myself lol When I get to it I'll post pics of what the bare metal looks like as well as anything I do in an attemt to make it look good...

-John

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I have a cracked dashpad also. I was thinking of cleaning it up, and glassing over the original vinyl skin, and then maybe covering it with some kind of material....I have seen some nice tweed, and Faux leather jobs. You can also ad gauge/clock blisters, carved from blue foam, before Glassing.....kinda your own custom twist!
And, you would still be under the $350-$400 price for a replacement.
Coverlay is also another nice option.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I'd be shocked to find an original dash that isn't cracked, truthfully.

I like the idea of adding a gauge pod out of blue foam.

Mr Clickerson

Reaction score

Mine's probably not "original", but from the looks of the bottom side, it sure is old, and it's not cracked (knock on wood- I need to get some Armor All for this thing).

^^^that looks sweet dude^^^

My dash is cracked bad though. I'm starting to think the guy must have 'glassed it cause it looked nice and smooth and really good. Either way I have a parts truck with a cracked dash too so I think I'll strip it & see for myself lol When I get to it I'll post pics of what the bare metal looks like as well as anything I do in an attemt to make it look good...

-John

Thanks. Got the truck and it had been painted black, poorly, with red showing through. Went to O'Really's and picked up a can of silver Duplicolor vinyl paint. Looked like dog ****- splotchy, uneven color, and it liked to pool up in random spots for no apparent reason. The SEM paint had none of these issues, very happy, and does not scratch.

As for your dash, those dash covers are a good product (though nearly as expensive as a dash pad). I don't know why, but I just love the look of the dash boards of these old trucks.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

That`s how I use to make ultra fast composite RC airplanes.......Carve it from blue foam, and then fiberglass.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DucatiDave