Anybody make a 2.5 inch Dual exhaust kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bloodrunner83

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
357ci
I have an 83 k10 with long tubes and cant find a kit ANYWHERE! Or do I need to drop big money to get a custom exhaust. Plus whats good aggressive mufflers? I was thinking super 44s but I want it a little louder with out using glass packs. Im gonna run exhaust dump out valves behind the front tires for when Im running the stock class truck pulls as well, but im ok with a little fabrication. Please help

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hooker makes a mandrel bent kit in the usual 2.25 and I guess they have a more expensive 2.5 kit now too.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Flowmaster does (mandrel). 2.5" and 3". I used the 3" on a '74 K20 and it worked very well.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

bloodrunner83

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
357ci
Hey Scorpion, what series muffler did you use and how loud was it? I want something that's not as loud as a glass pack, but louder than your average high performance muffler.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey Scorpion, what series muffler did you use and how loud was it? I want something that's not as loud as a glass pack, but louder than your average high performance muffler.

Well, I added an x-pipe and 40-series Flowmasters behind full length headers and 9:1 454. First time with an X-pipe and hard to describe the sound. It's loud but not as loud as I thought it would be. It does sound good though, just a little more hollow (?) and smooth than I expected. I think I'll like it if I go bigger on the cam.

bloodrunner83

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
357ci
Cool, ya I was gonna go with the super 44's, but like you said, its still pretty mellow sounding. I did some more research and im gonna go with the flowmaster super 10s, its the loudest non glasspack muffler that they have. they are only like 60 bucks a piece as well! and Scorpion, I cant find the flowmaster kit you mentioned for the k series trucks, can you send me a link maybe?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The Flowmaster kit is just a universal fits-all type kit. By looking at the pipes and bends, I always thought it might work well on the trucks.

bloodrunner83

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
357ci
So I checked out the hooker kit. Wasn't to impressed by it cause it had flex piping in it, which just seems jerry rigged and not like a 300 dollar exhaust! So other than that, there is no other bolt on kits? The flow master kit sounds like a pain in the ass

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Flex piping?! Got a link to a pic showing that?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker-Headers/520/16922/10002/-1

Heres the link, I now see that It says its for a big block, but its the only 2.5" kit I can find for the square body truck. If you see at the bottom of the pic, theres 2 flex pipes. I still cant find 2.5" for my k10 with a small block. It blows my mind!

That's just a generic picture. It looks like the $100 universal kit that exits in front of the rear wheels, like what they also sell in the JCWhitney catalog. I'm sure the kit in the description is high quality with mandrel bends and nice fitting pipes, like the 2.25 kit. I also see no reason why it won't work with a small block, the headers make more of a fitment difference than anything.

bloodrunner83

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
357ci
That's what I thought too but I don't know why they would put such a pathetic ass picture for it lol. And im gonna do some research on the BB vs the SB thing. You would think that longtubes would end in almost the same spot cause the headers would have to hug the block more to clear the frame rails. so the homework on that begins. Im still gonna contact the local exhaust shop that did my dads 66 chevy. I think they charged like 350 bucks including labor and mufflers. they did a killer job on it. it looks a lot nicer when you don't have a bunch of pipes sliding into eachother. I cant believe its like twice the price to go from 2.25 to 2.5". what a joke

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The 2.5-inch kits at Summit - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-15936

The 3-inch kit - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-15937

I used this S-bend kit to work around the 30-gal rear tank (I believe I needed to use the 8-inch offsets) - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-15927

Added Jeg's universal 3-inch X-pipe kit - http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/30662/10002/-1

A word of caution - if you get the kit for a LWB, you'll likely need two 20-something inches of straight tubing to connect the front S-bends to the mufflers to finish. When I found this out I decided to go the X-pipe route instead of the H (which was supplied) so I didn't need the additional tubing because of how long the assembly is in comparison...but I was still irritated that there wasn't some sort of disclaimer or note because it stopped me cold in my tracks.

A shot under the belly of the X-pipe.
You must be registered for see images attach

Around the tank.

I was working in tight quarters on the drivers side. The 3-inch tube had to go between the shock and the tank and sneak past the ORD shackle flip kit and run between it and the tank. You can just see the tube behind the shackle in the pic below. This is the part that was making me wish I had gone with the 2.5-inch kit instead of the 3.

If I didn't know better I'd say the kit was made for my truck. The Jegs X-pipe kit is crap (all of the single mandrel bends in the legs were over bent) so I had to build a fixture to square the assembly but, other than that, it was fairly easy. Had I not done the rear tank relo the rear would have worked fine out of the box. Without the additional S-bends, there was no way to slice and dice the pieces I had to make it work (which isn't exactly true however I would have had a mess of weld seems). On past projects I've had mandrel exhausts fabricated and none turned out this snug to the undercarriage and they cost way, way, way more. The hardest part was working out the hangers - mostly because I'm extremely particular and only like the later model ones that look factory.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
black_85c10