Any tips/tricks for rear axle flip kit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wamullins

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Doing a rear axle flip kit on an 82 C-10 swb. Any tips or tricks or helpful advice. Thanks for any info.

Old Painless

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reid
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
You'll want to pay due diligence when lining everything up - the big one being pinion angle, but that doesn't mean cut corners anywhere else. Your factory u-bolts should have worn a nice groove in the axle housing by now, so use those as reference for left and right. You'll want to measure anyways to double check, but those ought to be close.

Pinion angle... do some research.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/91758/ is sort of a "race" article but hey, you're lowering a truck - race away. The information in there is relevant anyways..
"Sometimes corrections need to be made at the front of the vehicle to ensure that the engine and trans are sitting in the proper location. According to Currie, the average car crafter should strive for between 1 and 3 degrees between the tailshaft of the transmission and driveshaft, and 1 to 3 degrees between the driveshaft and pinion. Furthermore, the two angles should be nearly equal (between 1 and 3 degrees), but always opposite."

If you're tech savvy (and I'm donning my fire suit as I type this) - there's an app for that. I've seen David Freiburger use it, so I should be off the hook for bringing it up, right? I've never used it, but here's a link for it:
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/transmission/1502-how-to-use-tremec-driveline-angle-finder-app/

That link also holds some more insight on pinion angle after the Tremec plug, as well as some good illustrations to help understand the process and why you need to be thorough when setting this angle.

wamullins

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Thank you for the advice and the links. Some good reading.....

RThiel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robb
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
Not much to it. Drop your axle off, and have a buddy help you stick it back in on top of the springs. I have an '82 LWB and it took a couple hours, but not much longer. Didn't do anything about the pinion angle because the flip kit had correction built in. I assume it did anyway, and there haven't been any issues. No notch needed, but remove your bumpstops.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88