Another starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2500sierra81

Reaction score
First Name
Lorenzo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 v8
truck wont start. when i turn the ignition it clicks but the starter doesnt turn. battery has a full charge and is keepign it. rest of electrical system works. lights turn and everything. no fuses blown. all the wires look to be hooked up right. any ideas? i dont have any fancy test equipment for checkign if there's power in wires but id rather not have to get my truck towed since it would be the third time this year

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Will it start if you jump it?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
truck wont start. when i turn the ignition it clicks but the starter doesnt turn. battery has a full charge and is keepign it. rest of electrical system works. lights turn and everything. no fuses blown. all the wires look to be hooked up right. any ideas? i dont have any fancy test equipment for checkign if there's power in wires but id rather not have to get my truck towed since it would be the third time this year

Sounds like a starter issue to me. But kinda hard to actually diagnose it with out atleast a test light.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Have you tried tapping on the starter a few times?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
there is a large gauge wire (may be a copper post) that runs from the starter solenoid, to the starter motor its self, check the nut that secures it to the terminal on the solenoid, I have found 5 starters, 3 reman, and 2 new where that nut had come loose. same symptoms...the loud click is the solenoid throwing the gear out, but no power going to the motor.

Last edited:

clkelley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
6.6L
And if that doesn't work, grab a hammer and give it a few good taps while you have someone try to start it.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
And if that doesn't work, grab a hammer and give it a few good taps while you have someone try to start it.

My cousin got a couple more years out of an expensive Nissan truck starter by doing this, had a long stick that he would use to pound on the starter through the fender well while someone else cranked it.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
one of my old k10s did the same thing... turned out it was a bad positive battery lead going from the battery to the starter, i replaced it and it fired right up

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8
My 79 did the same thing, Dad replaced the starter a couple times adn ran the wires to no avail. it would do it out of the blue, then start later. Ended up being the actual starter switch in the steering column. Sends power to the starter to turn the motor over. That or the solenoid. More than likely the solenoid tho.

2500sierra81

Reaction score
First Name
Lorenzo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 v8
thanks guys. the starter was at fault. i had just gotten a new one a couple months ago, so i got another one under warranty. seems the whole motor just locked up. truck starts fine now. good to be driving again

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derek87