Aluminum wheel restoration.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yep I use the car or truck to break em down, I never steer, I just use the back tire, run it over, turn the tire, run it over, repeat until it comes loose. Then they pry on and off fairly easy. I usually walk them back on, me on top or my knees walking them onto the rim, then I do just as said slam on the back bead and pull to the front and shoot the air to em. The best and fastest way is to remove the valve core, sock the air to the empty valve and try to make it seal up to get air in the tire, once it does it'll pop, pop then you're done, remove the air chuck, stick the valve core in and air to spec. My old man taught me that trick a few years ago.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
That HF thing dont look big enough to do a 38" Super Swamper. :think:

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
We used to change the tires by hand on dad's tractor trailer when I was a kid. Pain in the ass to change the tires. Then lay down the tire, I stand inside the wheel while he sprays starter fluid into the tire, then lights it to "blowup" (no I am NOT kidding) the tire, then hit the air to keep it up. Many a day I got done and went back into the house with NO eyebrows or hair on the arms. God I'm glad he pays someone for that crap now!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
yep I use the car or truck to break em down, I never steer, I just use the back tire, run it over, turn the tire, run it over, repeat until it comes loose. Then they pry on and off fairly easy. I usually walk them back on, me on top or my knees walking them onto the rim, then I do just as said slam on the back bead and pull to the front and shoot the air to em. The best and fastest way is to remove the valve core, sock the air to the empty valve and try to make it seal up to get air in the tire, once it does it'll pop, pop then you're done, remove the air chuck, stick the valve core in and air to spec. My old man taught me that trick a few years ago.
:waytogo:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That HF thing dont look big enough to do a 38" Super Swamper. :think:
:roflbow:

Look how simple it is though. Somebody here needs to make a homemade one and post it. If you google it for images under "bead breaker tool, all kinds of homemade stuff pops up, including 2x4's. :roflbow:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've only changed tires a couple times at home. I just broke the beads down with a sledge hammer, but that won't work if the tire is rusted to the rim. And you need a good aim.

To seat the beads, put a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire and then crank it down. Then air it up to seat them. Or you can put a rope around the tire, put a broomstick through it, then crank the broomstick around several times to tighten the rope.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I saw that done before too, all of it, ratchet strap, heard of the rope trick, sledge hammer, and lighter fluid, saw that on tv in antartica or something.

As for the sledge my old man had a big hammer he called a duckbill hammer made for breaking down tires, sledge on one side flat bill on the other, and yes good aim was a must, saw a cragr get hair lipped because of it once.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Gonna check the local truck stops for this stuff. Ton of homemade recipes that include some of the following:

-kerosene
-mineral spirits
-different rouges
-wd40
-carwax
-RainX

http://www.finishing.com/111/51.shtml

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1977chevyc30