already want a bigger cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
And shorter exhaust!

Pretty sure he meant old 5.0....new ones are hard to beat esp in a truck lmao

Well I guess that's it then! :) Im looking forward to your 6.0 LSX swap thread :) :popcorn:

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Stock vortec heads have a fairly weak exhaust. They need some split on the exhaust side. 108 at least, 12* would be better. I`m not a fan of Comp but they do have some decent 4X4 grinds that would work. I would keep the LSA on the tighter side, 108-110LSA. A roller cam would make more power with less camshaft so you would not loose any street manners down low.

As far as a head upgrade, you can go to the Edelbrock Etech heads or even the GM Bow Tie vortecs. Beyond that there are much better heads available in the older style intake pattern.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I would not go as tight as 108 personally unless your running a small stall converter. 110 is about as tight as I would go. 108 will make more mid range torque and HP but will kill a little low RPM power unless it is a very small cam. The SUM-K1103 is the cam I would go with. After that I would look at doing other things to the truck if your still wanting performance later. I would swap to 4.10 or 4.11 gears, a better intake, tune or replace carb then higher flowing heads like the small port vortecs. And don't forget your transmission. A transmission can make or break a good combo. Also I would experiment with tuning on your Q jet. There might be a lot more power in your combo that you are missing out on.

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The 108 LSA won't kill the low end power. It will help it. The converter has nothing to do with the LSA of the camshaft, duration yes, LSA no.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have done a lot of racing in my life and had a lot of cams. 106-108 will narrow the power band but make more peak power and will rob it from the low end and a little from the top. Look at cams recommended power bands on similar grinds and you will see what the cam manufacture recommends. This is why RV and 4X4 cams are not ground on 108. It also roughens up the idle a little. If I would have ground my cam on a 106 or 108 LSA it would have required a small stall converter. Its just on the verge of not needing a stall but would have liked on for sure. Wider LSA is more forgiving of things like miss matched converter and will widen the power band usually providing more low and top end but sacrificing peak power. LSA and ICL have a direct effect on converter selection and go hand in hand with duration. I would not run 108 on a truck I wanted to tow with unless I was running a small cam.

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I`ve done my share of racing as well, is that how we are supposed to show our experience? I dont care how long you or anyone else has been racing. That doesnt mean you know what your talking about. The tighter lsa will make the engine stronger down low. The OP didnt say how he uses this thing, just that he wants more camsahft. He did say he wants more cam sound which makes the 108lsa fit right in. I would never suggest a camshaft just because of the sound but I would also never band aid a poor drive train combo with the wrong camshaft. Just the way I do things. I also am not into 4wd stuff so take it for what it is.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
He said he did not want to loose his low end torque so I am guessing he wants to be able to use it as a truck still. The reason I am throwing racing is I have built race motors and street motors I have had tight LSA small and large cams and wide LSA small and large cams and can tell ya from experience 108 on a larger cam will kill the low RPM. Don't believe me call a cam manufacture and chat with them. My last hydraulic flat tappet cam I had was on a 106LSA with 218* duration at 0.050 the cam card asked for a 2,200 RPM stall but it really needed a 2,500 RPM stall. If you want to run a tight LSA on the street with a stock stall your going to have a lot of fun popping your transmission in to neutral at stop lights to keep the truck from pulling at the lights or stalling.

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I`ve never tried to run a performance camshaft with a stock stall so I cant really get into that but I know a 2000-2200 stall will help get the truck in the power range and wont kill any drivability around town.

Might consider build a 383 shortblock to get the low end torque

Fastereddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
4.11 gears w those 33's. You and your trans will love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76