Air Compressor lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
I'm looking at putting an air compressor line in my building. Has anyone used the thick wall PVC piping, or what type of piping should I use?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Don't use pvc, it becomes brittle over time and will eventually explode under pressure. At the very least, anyone in the vicinity will take shrapnel wounds and the threat of serious injury is real.

Use copper pipe. Yeah, its expensive but worth it in terms of safety. Another benefit of copper, with enough length it has the ability to cool the air from the compressor and drop out the moisture trapped in the compressed air. Dry air is essential for air tools and bead blasting.

Last edited:

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Good info from OSHA.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Another vote for copper. That's what I used (with brass fittings and unions for corrosion resistance).

These were "in progress" pictures of the install, but you get the idea. I used a hydraulic hose to connect the compressor to the copper piping with a union (temporary steel union in this picture, I changed it out for brass).

The little "hump" at the drop to the regulator is another step to help keep water out of the line. I've never had water out of the ball valve on the drop or out of the regulator, even with that short of a run. Both ends of the main run are stubbed and capped for future expansion. The main line also has some amount of slope to help water drain to one end (though it just collects in the capped line at the moment, the way it's set up).

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 223

84 Chevy Kyle

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm looking at putting an air compressor line in my building. Has anyone used the thick wall PVC piping, or what type of piping should I use?

I know this is a post is a little older but if anybody is thinking about plumbing their garage for air, this is a pretty slick setup.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200484023_200484023

They sell a few different diameters and such. I had thought about doing the same with some leftover PEX tubing from in floor heat but wasn't sure where to get the fittings for everything. The kits eliminate all the guesswork out of it. Doesn't look cheap but when you consider materials for copper pipe, it quickly becomes economical.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
they make a plastic air compressor line that would work just fine. as long as its not in a place that will get hit. in danger zones ive used galvinized and just steel pipe copper works as well!

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I used that rapid air system in my shop. It was very easy to customize and it has worked very well for me. I rearranged my shop and just took it all apart and then reconnected after all the changes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76