Aftermarket headlight harness problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hey I've got an aftermarket harness hooked up to my truck and the high and low beam come on at the same time. This has been fine for me as I just unhooked the high beams and used only low but it is inspection time and I have to show high and low. I noticed the new harness only plugs in to one of the old trucks headlight plugs(3prong) and Im guessing I will have to rewire the harness to plug into one of the 2 prong plugs. When i pull the headlight switch only running lights will come on until I hit the brights switch on the steering column and then low and hi beam come on.
Anyone have experience with this, or am I right in assuming I will have to rewire so the brights plug into the old plug?
I will attach a photo of the harness
You must be registered for see images attach

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sounds like its wired up as a 4-HI automatic kit-which you DONT want with a sealed beam application. Those relay kits are terrible but a lot of people get lured by the price of them. If you keep that kit you'll need to open it up and re-wire it so that you have seperate low/high beam features. Having both filaments powered at the same time will blow them sealed beam pretty quick. Now, if you have converted to an H4 style bulb, you definitely need to re-wire it properly-on those, the ground and low beam wires are switched.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have upgraded to h4 headlights and dont have the sealed beams. So i need to swap ground and low beam?

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes-when using H4 composite bulbs, the low beam and grounds are switched....I have a diagram I'll try to post quick....

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Heres a quick sketch diagram

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics