AD-237 or CS-130D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
So I have both of these.

I didnt realize I had what is considered a great alternator sitting on my shelf for 2 years now, the AD-237(or I think it is, maybe a 244 but I Havent found out yet) and it needs a rebuild. i believeits a factory 130 amp but it could be higher.

I also have a 105 amp CS-130D sitting on a shelf, functional but used.

Are these easily swappable into a square and could they be made to do V belts?

If they both can, I can put the CS-130D in first and work on getting the ad-237 fixed. I want the power-at-low-rpm of the AD-237 for my plowing purposes, but it needs an alternator period lol so If I gotta put one in might as well use what i have for free. Im going to pull the alternator and bracket off spare engine soon so i will put another 10si back on it, but its not a hard or lengthy job to do the alternator as you all probably know.

if a 12si built to high amps is a better deal, i guess i could do that too.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
You can definitely use the pulley for a V belt in place of the serpentine pulley, I have had the 105 amp on my car for probably 15 years.

I have no clue what a AD-237 is, but the best alternator you could get on a square body was a 94 amp on the last few years of production. The CS130 is rated just a little more than the best the squares came with, but the 130 will put out max output basically at idle, it takes some elevated engine speeds for the old school alternator to put out its rated output.

To answer your question, I think the CS-130 would be great for your goals. If I had any clue what the other alternator is, I might have a different opinion. Either way, the best alternator will be useless if you don’t upgrade the charge wire. At least a 8 gauge, a 6 would be better if you really plan to work the alternator full tilt. No point in using all the current to heat up the wire, instead of charging the battery.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
If you have any old York a/c compressors laying around let me know. Or any piston driven a/c compressor :)

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If you have any old York a/c compressors laying around let me know. Or any piston driven a/c compressor :)
no. Sadly. Ive looked. BUt I did find some other cool ****, pics to follow that are mildy relevant, see conversation starters for the rest

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Donor engine is 305, finally figured ito ut. I guessedi t was. looks like 78 truck? High flow intake for 2 barrel? interesting exhaust manifold.. .for a malibu or monte carlo

You must be registered for see images attach

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Donor engine is 305, finally figured ito ut. I guessedi t was. looks like 78 truck? High flow intake for 2 barrel? interesting exhaust manifold.. .for a malibu or monte carlo

Assembled June 9th at the Tonowanda plant... definitely a 305, but can't determine year from the code. You need to look at the casting number and casting date to determine the year and application. That serial number is odd... it should be the vin, but isn't in the correct format for anything between 1961-80 that I can find. The second digit should be model, which should be a letter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06