actuator rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Does anyone know where to get an ignition switch actuator rod for a 78 tilt column that is reasonably priced? I found one outfit that has them but $175 is a rip off.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds

I built the column in my Olds from a bunch of broken columns I got from my local salvage yard. They were all columns from theft recovery’s. Since I wanted a column with tilt, delay, dimmer on the turn signal lever, and use the factory looking lock cylinders and hazard switch, I had to custom make my actuator rods. I cut several in half and welded them together to get the length I needed.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That was my thought as well. The local pick and pull has a few GM cars with tilt. Usable SB parts have dried up here. Was going to get a rod or 2 out of a GM car and either weld to length or R & R the pot metal piece on the end. Parts prices are beyond outrageous.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
In my case, I had no clue if a OEM rod was even available to accommodate what I was doing. I mixed and match parts to build the column the way I wanted, with the features and look I was after.

I also quickly learned there are lots of different “families” of column parts that don’t play well together when inbreeding!! The first column I assembled didn’t tilt down beyond basically the straight position. It tilted up normally. Of course, I didn’t notice this until after the column was painted and installed. I built the column with the mismatched parts. I don’t remember exactly what the issue was, but either the part that the tilt lever locks onto, or the latch, or maybe both was different that what the other parts needed.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. Kind of assumed that when looking up the rods at the start of this. There are many lengths and likely other changes I am not aware of. This may be a learning experience if nothing else. It's an excellent tilt column other than that one part.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
If the rod wasn't so long I'd put one in the mail for you.

HS

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
That was my thought as well. The local pick and pull has a few GM cars with tilt. Usable SB parts have dried up here. Was going to get a rod or 2 out of a GM car and either weld to length or R & R the pot metal piece on the end. Parts prices are beyond outrageous.
There's a guy on most of the local PNW forums that specializes in squarebody parts. Its a place called Squarebody Ranch in Battle Ground, WA. phone # is (360) 921-4653. You should give him a call and see if he has one or knows where to get one close to you for a reasonable price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia