AC temp control wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Anyone know what the orange wire in the back of the temperature control vacuum switch goes to? Can't find it in the wiring diagram, and it's not shown in my Painless wiring book.
You must be registered for see images attach

shep151

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have my control panel out for cleaning/repair and discovered this wire is broken off on mine. Looking at the factory wiring drawings, I can't find it anywhere. The cigarette lighter appears to be its own wire, straight from the fuse block, and should be orange and black, not orange.
The AC is nonfunctional in my truck, and I'd like to remedy that. Did you discover what this wire is for, and is it necessary for any HVAC operation?

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Lighter, i tapped into it for my sub-woofer

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I’m not sure it’s that wire, but on my ‘75 controls there is an extra wire and two indents on the temperature slider. If you slide it left to the first indent, almost all the way to the left, and the truck is on A/C, you get normal operation of the blower. If you slide it fully to the left and you are in A/C mode, you get recirculated air, and the blower goes to high speed. I assume the extra wire is needed to activate the blower high speed relay.

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’m not sure it’s that wire, but on my ‘75 controls there is an extra wire and two indents on the temperature slider. If you slide it left to the first indent, almost all the way to the left, and the truck is on A/C, you get normal operation of the blower. If you slide it fully to the left and you are in A/C mode, you get recirculated air, and the blower goes to high speed. I assume the extra wire is needed to activate the blower high speed relay.
I think you're right, it's definitely not for the cigarette lighter. I'm not using AC so I can't say for sure. Everything else works right without it, so I left it unhooked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef