AC Help 79 C10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toshiba86

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a 79 C10 Silverado I am having a problem finding the mounting brackets for the compressor (driver side and high mount) as well as the hosing that comes from the evaporator to the condenser. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Auto zone and oreilly have no idea what I'm talking about and suggest getting hoses made and ordering a kit from ebay for the brackets. It's a universal kit.... so I'm skeptical since it's a lot of brackets and not necessarily the right ones.

Thank you.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Is your original compressor the long, heavy A6 compressor, or the shorter R4 compressor? My '75 has the very large A6 top bracket that fits onto the intake manifold, and then another bracket that bolts on to support it from the bottom. I think the only place you could find them would be a boneyard, since they are a unique shape.

Have you considered a using replacement Sanden or Seltec compressor? Several shops in Florida and Texas sell mounting brackets for those compressors. They usually have metric fittings, so you will need custom hoses made up, or some type of adapter to fit the condenser and evaporator.

A shop in Texas sells the pro6ten compressor (www.oldairproducts.com ), which is a lightweight A6 replacement. It is designed to use the original brackets, but maybe they also sell replacement brackets.

Bruce

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
about th eonly places you are going to find the brackets and the box parts are used, junkyards, ebay etc. If not then maybe one of the truck places has some the brackets anyways. I have my a/c box from my 83 should be the same, the part where the blower motor goes in is shot but the other part from firewall to the evap thing is good is that the part you need?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I got all the junk from my 74, I would think 79 would be the same.

Toshiba86

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the replies. I thought I had setup my account to notify me via email that I had a reply. I suppose I didn't.

I have not found what I needed yet. But, I plan on hitting the junkyard this next weekend if time permits. Been a bit busy lately with TDY and pre-deployment junk going on.

Hopefully I can piece her together soon =) thank you again for the replies and I will follow up once I find a solution.

Toshiba86

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Is your original compressor the long, heavy A6 compressor, or the shorter R4 compressor? My '75 has the very large A6 top bracket that fits onto the intake manifold, and then another bracket that bolts on to support it from the bottom. I think the only place you could find them would be a boneyard, since they are a unique shape.

Have you considered a using replacement Sanden or Seltec compressor? Several shops in Florida and Texas sell mounting brackets for those compressors. They usually have metric fittings, so you will need custom hoses made up, or some type of adapter to fit the condenser and evaporator.

A shop in Texas sells the pro6ten compressor (www.oldairproducts.com ), which is a lightweight A6 replacement. It is designed to use the original brackets, but maybe they also sell replacement brackets.

Bruce

It's the A6, I will see what I can find at the yard this weekend and hopefully piece it together.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Let me know if you want some pictures of the A6 brackets and I can see what I can get from my truck.

Are you trying to re-use the old compressor, or are you going to buy a new one? The oil used with R-12 (freon) is different than the oil used with R134a, and they should not be mixed. Its hard to get all the oil out of a compressor, but all the other components are fairly easy to open up and flush. If you can start fresh, most new compressors now use PAG oil. General guidance:
New R134a - PAG oil
Old R-12 - Mineral Oil
Retrofit - Polyol Ester Oil (should work with residual Mineral oil)

I swapped to a Seltec for a while, but after about a year of use I had problems with leaks, which led to a locked up compressor (I added refrigerant, but no oil when I topped off). Since almost everything but the evaporator is new, my suspicion is either the old evaporator or a fitting that has a bad O-ring.

I have the old A6 mounted, just to get it out of the way, but plan to buy one of the pro6ten compressors to replace it. I already have a parallel flow condenser, and I'm using a Ford blue orifice that is supposed to work better with R134a. Once weakness of the old A6 mounting is that it uses a very long belt, and there is limited support in the middle to keep it stable. It seems to work okay, but looks really long.

Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner