AC Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Hey I took my a/c out, no need for it, and Im wondering can I get the blower box out of a non ac truck and put it in on the firewall or am I going to have to custom fabricate a cover for where the heater core and blower motor is under the hood?

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
The fan hole on a non-a/c truck and an a/c truck are in the same place but not the air intake hole or the heater-core holes. You will have to fabricate to install the non-a/c box on an a/c firewall.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
I used to have a pic of the 86 I did, but my laptop died.

Do yourself a favor and when you pull the heater box from the donor truck, make a template for when you install it into your truck. Or if you can cut the whole section of the firewall of the donor out.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I was just gonna get some sheet metal and cut the plastic box down and mold it to that. Im not sure how to explain it, but I dont like how it comes out where the evap core used to be. So I just want to make it a lil smoother......

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Got the hard drive out of my laptop, and it appears to be still functional, if I remember I'll post the pics when I am at my parents tomorrow night.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Whichever way you do it; the fire wall needs to end up looking like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

These are the stock openings for an 86 Sierra Classic without A/C. Photo was taken while installing factory air, just before cutting the opening for the evap coil .

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Whichever way you do it; the fire wall needs to end up looking like this:

These are the stock openings for an 86 Sierra Classic without A/C. Photo was taken while installing factory air, just before cutting the opening for the evap coil .

Ide like to see some more of the pictures before and after you added the A/C I am getting ready to have to do it to my truck.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I kinda had the feeling someone would ask - so I looked around. No luck so far, but I don't think I deleted the images for that modification.

I am not sure - but I seem to recall that the evap inlet shape on fire wall may be stamped into the steel. Here are 2 photos of other trucks (cut for A/C) and one more of mine (heat only):

I just covered the existing opening in the FW with 10ga galvanized sheet steel (sealed with silicon and secured with stainless self-tappers).

Last edited:

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Id like to see some before and after pics of an a/c delete. And what all can i delete behind the dash? I only want heat and only want it to blow out of the defroster.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
There's not much to see actually.

Before:

Or, I suppose, you could look at your own truck.

After:

Blower/evap housing & plenum sections (with A/C):

Blower housing and plenum sections (heat only):

If you don't want to patch the evap inlet opening with sheet metal - see the link. These guys sell a custom made ac delete blower housing

http://www.acdelete.com/pages/73-90_Truck.htm.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You can remove all the duct work shown in the image below - except part no. 14 (defroster feed):

Also the control panel for A/C is vacuum operated. It needs to come out - along with all the associated vacuum tubing. On the engine side you can lose the vacuum reserve chamber - over next to the brake master cylinder.

Replace the A/C control panel and hoses with a cable operated unit - like this:

The fan speed wiring is the same - you'll use the same harness connector. The A/C system has an extra wire that goes to the temperature selector - you can snip that. The hot wire for the compressor; comes off the fusible link gets eliminated. And I think, IIRC, that the connector for the blower resistor is different on a straight heat system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising