96 subaru outback.. wife's new toy/DD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
Got this for my wife a couple months ago after we both got tired of stuffing 2 kids and ourselves into a 2 door civic.. and it is awesome.! It's the AWD 2.2L non-turbo 5 speed. This is first subaru I've got my hands on and am amazed at the handling on pavement and dirt.. plans for it are a 2 inch lift, maybe different wheels, better tires, possibly a snorkel and offroad style bumpers, eventually a factory turbo and whatever ELSE my says she wants to do to it.

On a side note anyone else on here a fan of these cars? Any info or tips and tricks would be great, like I said I'm new to the subarus

Attachments

• 20160510_202226-1.jpg
    20160510_202226-1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 95

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I've always liked Subies, but never owned one. A co-worker of mine had one that he put over 120k on (for a total of about 230k, since he bought it used), only replaced the timing belt tensioner and charged the A/C for the 10 years he owned it.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I have an '07 Forester FXT with 5 speed manual. Previous owner bought it new and documented every change he made to it in a build thread on the Forester Forum. When I offered to buy it he had a WRX turbo in it and that took the HP up to 355 on the dyno. I forget the torque numbers but those were incredibly high as well. I had the option of buying the bigger turbo with the exhaust pipes and intercooler associated with it, but I didn't want to remove it all every two years and re-map everything for emissions testing. So he put the stock turbo back on it, along with the stock exhaust. Even the stock turbo setup has 224 hp, and the torque is about the same number at 3,000 rpm. Impressive little engines. The suspension, he left on the swift springs which lowered it a couple inches, and he also left on the STI sway bars and STI rack and pinion and front strut tower brace. It's a badass car! Handles like a cat on sandpaper. I have heard and read these cars are incedible off road. He also sent the stock suspension with the car. I have been tempted to raise it like you want to raise yours, but I have a jeep and trucks that can go off road, so that hasn't happened yet.

Looks like you got a solid car to build. Looking forward to seeing the progress. I'd suggest the Outback forum and other Subaru forums for off road upgrades. The choices are numerous. Raise it with spacers, raise it with springs, with sway bars, without sway bars. Skid plates are a must since the under carriage is so low, but everything is tucked up which helps. Speaking of skids plates, I need to locate one for mine, the plastic cover is nice but doesn't provide any protection if something is encountered on the road.

I would recommend changing the coolant first thing, and verify the hoses are good. The coolant needs a conditioner for the aluminum block and heads. And hopefully the PO had the head gaskets replaced. The older engines are notorious for blowing head gaskets from what I've read.

You might consider pulling the axles and replacing the boots and the grease inside them. If you do, just make sure you mark them well so everything stays balanced and tuned. If nothing else inspect them. I had an '05 Legacy Outback and the engine-side axle boots were extremely close the cats and in stop and go traffic they will burn up and fail. I've never seen under an Impreza Outback of your year.

That's all I can think of right now.

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Got to thinking about you adding a turbo. If you go that route you will need to probably get the whole turbo engine as a unit. The compression ratios are different between the NA engines and the Turbo engines. I think the turbo engine runs 8:1 compression or something like that, might be even lower.

But the Impreza based Subarus are highly modifiable, whereas the Legacy based models don't have the number of upgrades available.

Also, did the PO say if or when they changed the spark plugs? I know NGK works well in these cars, but expect a few hours time changing them.

And, what about the timing belt? That's another thing that needs to be changed along with a slew of other components while you're in there. I recently bought $1,600 worth of parts for mine, $700 of it was the complete timing belt kit. Annapolis Subaru on the Forester forum website has some good deals. Jackie is a good gal to work with.

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. As far as the turbo goes I'm probably gonna try and find a complete turbo engine to swap in that way I can replace all the gaskets seal etc. The car has about 240000 miles but doesn't smoke and runs great but does have a few leaks here and there, and eventually will need a new clutch though it still has some adjustment left in it. Leaning towards going with struts for the lift as the rear ones seem to be a bit soft. Progress will be a bit slow till tax time rolls around but I do have a light bar for the roof I hope to install soon.. the timing belt is supposed to be new and I installed new plugs and wires the day I bought it.

Last edited:

Jake_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208
I've owned two Scoobies. A 2000 4 door Impreza RS (1st 4 door RS in Ga), and a 1999 Legacy Outback. The only issue with non-turbo'd Scoobies are head gaskets on the 2.5 (both DOHC and SOHC) engines. The turbo engines have known issues with ringland failures at high boost and stock pistons.

You have a great platform, GF8 chassis and uber-reliable 2.2 engine. Keep up with the regular maintenance, and she will last a long time.

Jake

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
I've owned two Scoobies. A 2000 4 door Impreza RS (1st 4 door RS in Ga), and a 1999 Legacy Outback. The only issue with non-turbo'd Scoobies are head gaskets on the 2.5 (both DOHC and SOHC) engines. The turbo engines have known issues with ringland failures at high boost and stock pistons.

You have a great platform, GF8 chassis and uber-reliable 2.2 engine. Keep up with the regular maintenance, and she will last a long time.

Jake

Thanks man. I'm really getting attached to this thing, good to know I got the better engine. I'm hoping to find myself one sometime, or just wait till my wife finds something she wants worse and keep this one for me.

Jake_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208
Since you're new to Scoobies, I recommend joining nasiaoc.com There is a literal ton of information on all chassis and engines.

Jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76