'86 K10 Short Box Restore and To-Do Order?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richiemoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
4.3L
Has anyone else restored their truck boxes? Many people have told me that it isn't worth the time involved. But the cost of a southern box and what will still need to go into it, seems way more expensive than fixing up the original box. I'll need to restore the sill's and side fenders. The side fenders can wait, i just want to know what i'm getting into with the the sills... The short box is already off the frame. I figure the next step would be to get it sand blasted and really see what i'm working with?

The trouble i'm having with this restore, is that it is a long term project, but i want to stop the rust now and paint it/make performance upgrades later on. My current game plan is this:

1.a. Save up for door shells. (my buddy said to do this first, so he can make sure the bottoms don't hit when he welds in the new rockers and cab corners.)

1.b. Sandblast the box to see what my options are. Either restore, or keep a lookout for a different one.
-If the box is fixable, i can start working on this in my garage, while saving up for other costs.
-If the box is not worth the time, money, effort to fix, skip to step 2.

2. Take the cab off the frame. Have the frame and areas that need work sandblasted.

3. My buddy quoted me around $1,100 to weld in the rockers and cab corners, including parts, if i take the cab off the frame and have the rough areas sandblasted.

4. Weld and fix up the frame, then coat the frame with primer and truck bed liner. I'm still learning to weld better, so i feel better that no one will see the lack of quality on the frame. My dad was a tool and die maker, and is good at welding, so he will be helping me. Neither of us have done body work, although, i did successfully replace the floor pan in my wife's '95 wrangler.

5. Put the cab and box back onto the frame with a one inch body lift.

6. Save up for a 2" suspension lift, as the current one is not in the best shape, but will work for what i need it for at this time. Pulling tiny fishing boat, etc.

7. Save up for a paint job.

8. LS swap when my kids are older and can watch/learn/help. The current 4.3L is a champ!

Can anyone offer any advice to help critic this plan?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If you don’t really need a body lift don’t do it. If your looking for 3” justvdo a 3 inch lift. I know that didn’t address every thing that just one hat caught my eye. And this should help the conversation along.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
There was a box at a junkyard near my home that I think they wanted $300 for. They had a long and a short. I maybe confusing it with the cab, but they’ve got a short and a long or at least had them. It’s been a little while.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
If I remember correctly, it seems as though a lot of the rocker repairs I've seen in threads do it with the cab on the frame for rigidity.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If I remember correctly, it seems as though a lot of the rocker repairs I've seen in threads do it with the cab on the frame for rigidity.
Definitely and with the doors on.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
I have to agree with CSFJ. When I worked in the frame shop I NEVER did anything like that with the cab and doors NOT on the frame. Not saying it won't work but it would concern me about fit and finish after the fact.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are you talking a Fleetside or Stepside box? I just took my Stepside box apart and am getting started restoring it. All of the parts are available for it, just depends on how much of your original box needs to be replaced.

richiemoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
4.3L
If you don’t really need a body lift don’t do it. If your looking for 3” justvdo a 3 inch lift. I know that didn’t address every thing that just one hat caught my eye. And this should help the conversation along.
Good to know about the body lift, thank you! I was only going to do a body lift because on my wife's '95 Wrangler, anything more than a 2.5" suspension lift would cause U-joint and drive-shaft issues. Since this is a short box, i thought the same would be true for this? Since the largest i'll go are 31's, maybe 33's, i could still go with a 2" suspension lift and be ok, right?

There was a box at a junkyard near my home that I think they wanted $300 for. They had a long and a short. I maybe confusing it with the cab, but they’ve got a short and a long or at least had them. It’s been a little while.
hmmm, where do you live??? haha I'm in Michigan. I found some down south, but guys that picked up the phone wouldn't send me any pictures. Not in a way that i didn't trust that they had the box and was in good shape, but i just needed to see it first...

hmmmm... i'll definitely ask my buddy, but he said to take it off the frame to make it easier to weld in. maybe he is just use to restoring older cars with less space to work with? i know the business he owns, restores a LOT of vehicles. i'll ask him again though, thanks!

I have to agree with CSFJ. When I worked in the frame shop I NEVER did anything like that with the cab and doors NOT on the frame. Not saying it won't work but it would concern me about fit and finish after the fact.
Thanks, i will for sure ask him about it. He said that he was going to take it off the frame anyway, so if i did it, it would save some time. he restores enough vehicles, so i trust him, but i'll for sure ask him for his reasoning and let you guys know.

Are you talking a Fleetside or Stepside box? I just took my Stepside box apart and am getting started restoring it. All of the parts are available for it, just depends on how much of your original box needs to be replaced.
Fleetside, that might have been helpful to add. I think the most expensive part will be the actual outside panels on the box. after that, a few bed patches a and the sills, they won't be too much. The most expensive parts overall seems to be the door shells, now. brothers trucks had them, i though, for $150 each. maybe $300... But they are now $369 EACH.... ouch....

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’m from Mississippi. You’ll see a little rust on the coastal counties, but everywhere else is fairly easy on cars and trucks. The South is second to the Southwest as far as vehicle condition goes, I think. I’ve got Spring Break starting the 23rd. If you want me to swing by, I can get pictures if they still have them. They looked very good to me when I was looking. Are you willing to travel, or did you want to ship it? A lot of these places down here are very grease monkey, simple operations so I wouldn’t count on a lot of options on the business’s end. If I can help in any way, let me know.

They’re called County Line Auto Sales & Salvage, and they’re in Summit, MS. Telephone number is 6012767551. If you call, they can be a little curt, but they’re just different and have a harsh sense of humor/personality. People mistake them as being rude sometimes, and they’re not. If you can get Larry on the horn, he’s as nice as they come, and he’ll advocate your offer to the boss. The asking prices are not firm, of course. I’m not sure if you’ll get pictures out of them, but like I said, I can swing by in just over a week here.

Last edited:

richiemoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
4.3L
I’m from Mississippi. You’ll see a little rust on the coastal counties, but everywhere else is fairly easy on cars and trucks. The South is second to the Southwest as far as vehicle condition goes, I think. I’ve got Spring Break starting the 23rd. If you want me to swing by, I can get pictures if they still have them. They looked very good to me when I was looking. Are you willing to travel, or did you want to ship it? A lot of these places down here are very grease monkey, simple operations so I wouldn’t count on a lot of options on the business’s end. If I can help in any way, let me know.

They’re called County Line Auto Sales & Salvage, and they’re in Summit, MS. Telephone number is 6012767551. If you call, they can be a little curt, but they’re just different and have a harsh sense of humor/personality. People mistake them as being rude sometimes, and they’re not. If you can get Larry on the horn, he’s as nice as they come, and he’ll advocate your offer to the boss. The asking prices are not firm, of course. I’m not sure if you’ll get pictures out of them, but like I said, I can swing by in just over a week here.
Sorry, i just saw your response! i'll try giving them a call first and let you know. i like those types of people, they tell it how it is and have a fun sense of humor! Thank you very much!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man