85 Silverado door trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bedwards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
One of my pieces of trim is trying to come unglued from the door. I assume its on with double sided tape? What is the best way to keep it attached? I really don't want to take the whole thing off and start over with it. Can the loose spot be re-glued or attached? I thought about 3m weatherstrip adhesive but will this harm the paint?

thanks in advance

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You’re talking about the molding where the door strap is, right? Those damn things... Someone probably took it off at some point and broke the tangs on the back. It’s supposed to clip in place where it’s not bolted in. It’s not supposed to be glued at all, but someone may have at some point. I had the same issue, and I got tired of looking at it so I ripped it off. I don’t think it’s worth fooling with. You could gamble with a used one if the tangs aren’t broken off, or you could buy a new set from LMC for $40. I plan to do one or the other when I can find a used one or find the time to order/install a new one.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’m sorry. I thought you meant the molding on the inside of the door near the top by the pull strap. You’re talking about the molding on the outside. That makes more sense. Yes, that’s glued on. I don’t think regluing it as it sits would be effective because both sides are dirty. You’d probably need to remove the piece, strip the glue on it and the door for it to bind properly, and then reapply. I don’t know what kind of adhesive they used, though. Sorry for the mix up back there.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I’m sorry. I thought you meant the molding on the inside of the door near the top by the pull strap. You’re talking about the molding on the outside. That makes more sense. Yes, that’s glued on. I don’t think regluing it as it sits would be effective because both sides are dirty. You’d probably need to remove the piece, strip the glue on it and the door for it to bind properly, and then reapply. I don’t know what kind of adhesive they used, though. Sorry for the mix up back there.
Looked like 2 sided tape to me when I pulled mine off.

bedwards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
Heat gun it or will it pull of easy?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Heat gun it or will it pull of easy?
It leaks off easy, but leave tape on the paint and it’s a pita to get off. I sanded mine off. I painted mine though. Heat gun might help, but the moldings are thick and will probably damage them till you get it hot enough to effect the tape. If your joy reusing them give it a whirl. The rear bed corners are actual metal though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad