84/82 K20 Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ya it would be an out side job. I did it once in my garage but I had to clean every where after wards lol it was a big mess!

You should see if it would cost a whole lot to have somebody do it for you. Some guys are mobile or maybe you have to take it some where.

On the flip side just wire wheel and flap disc it good and then use the Rust Mort and NOT SPARINGLY lol

84k20Northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Shifting topics now, I have an opportunity to pick up a cheap 6bt cummins and was thinking of throwing it in this truck. Thinking it would be a good idea as i probobly wouldnt be able to afford to feed the 350 in it after everything ive done to it.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
cummins with an NV4500 and 205 would be unstoppable !

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Shifting topics now, I have an opportunity to pick up a cheap 6bt cummins and was thinking of throwing it in this truck. Thinking it would be a good idea as i probobly wouldnt be able to afford to feed the 350 in it after everything ive done to it.

Everywhere I've been recently (all over the place, lol), diesel has been about a dollar a gallon more than regular unleaded.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I Would ask around.

My TH400 worked awesome with my 6.2 but that's like oranges to apples. I would think a good 4L80E would handle it well. Maybe the TH400 would too. I don't know anybody who has done that though.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Seems like it might be easier to put whatever trans dodge put behind the motor (auto or manual) for durability sake, then adapt the t-case you want.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
the dodges ran 241s for quite some time however they were diesel HD cases with a wider chain. Im not sure if the bearings were different. I read an article like 15 years ago saying it was possible to upgrade the 241 chevy case with the Dodge Diesel HD 241 internal parts. I would check into that before proceeding though. If you could that would solve your passenger side drop issue.

I know the NV4500s that Dodge used had different in put and out put spline shafts from chevy. So in that case its easier to put the chevy NV4500 behind the cummins then the other way around. However dodge did use the 6 spd manual and for either manual or automatic you can get adapters from Advance Adapters that will fix your chevy to Dodge transfer case issues.

But at the end of the day its not a cheap swap any which way you go.

Myself I would find a low mileage 6.5 with the turbo and 4L80E rather then the cummins swap

The 6.5 will still give you 300 hp and 350 ft lbs torque + and the 4l80 will accept a chevy passenger side drop transfer case. And it all bolts right in!

BowTieJockey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Or do a 2 wheel drive transmission with a divorced transfer case.

Dadof2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1991 , 1981
Truck Model
R1500 Chevy Sub, C20
Engine Size
350 in both trucks
I got to give you credit for doing that out in the snow like that. Determination. :)
I was thinking the same thing.

Lots of work there just to get that frame prepped. Seriously buddy, before I applied anything at all to that frame like a bed liner product or chassis paint, I think I'd certainly hit it first with a coat of Rust Converter. Something like POR15. I hear the stuff goes a long way. You might be able to get the frame done with a quart. Maybe 2 quarts to get everything like the springs and axles.
Agreed. I used this on my 81 C20 when we had the front end off.

I think it's great that a 16 y/o is discussing this ^. Congrats on your project and keep us informed on the progress.

As another member mentioned, you might consider looking around for a mobile sandblasting unit to come out and blast that frame. I say this after working on the frame of my truck this summer and it didn't have a fraction of the rust that you are dealing with.

Keep up the good work young man!

84k20Northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks guys! I'm actually not even working right now so I'm scraping my bank account dry right now lol but I have a job lined up at the local ford dealer (yea I know ford on a chevy forum lol) mounting and balancing tires so I should be able to start buying a lot more stuff for the truck than I currently am able to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84k20Northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Here's my new plan. I've noticed that the engine in this truck leaked so much oil that everything on the frame up front isnt even rusted at all. Still had original paint after I scraped the crud off it. I'm going to take the C20 frame and chop the front end off and weld the front end from the K20 onto the rear of the C20 frame Since the C20 frame is rust free

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
IMO its easier to just drill holes and transfer the 4wd brackets on to the c20 frame. No chop chop just bolt bolt.:)

the frame rails are identical from 2wd to 4wd

84k20Northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That is what i originally wanted to do, but everyone else on here said not to because its a complete pain in the ass and not worth the effort

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512