79' C10 Silverdao

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toshiba86

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
79' C10 Silverado

Heya folks! I am a new owner to a barn find 1979 C10 Silverado. I have been in the Army for going on 12 years now, stationed in Georgia and headed to Missouri next. Making her a daily driver and looking to increase the MPG just a little bit and from what I have gathered converting to a EFI might be what I need to do.

She came with a fresh a 355 and a 350 trans in her.

Looking for input on the following as I will shortly be upgrading the fuel delivery from tank to Carb.

What EFI would you recommend? Is the self-tuning option worth the extra $$?

Do I need everything from tank to lines and pump in order to install an EFI?

I plan on doing the tank relocation to under the bed and upgrading the fuel pump eventually, unless it is necessary for the EFI to run correctly. I have read a bit about it but cant seem to find much as far as how the install goes and any issues or what exactly is needed just to get the ball rolling.

Also, plan on new headers and exhaust on her. Currently dumps behind the cab and isn't quite what I like. Haven't made my mind up, but I am open to suggestions for both! I'm curious to hear and learn what others are running.

Thank you for your time,
Andrew :cheers:

Last edited:

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard :boti:
And Thank you so much for your service !!

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
WElcome! Thanks for your service!

If you go with the Fitech, you won't need anything else, it's about 1,000 dollars.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Welcome, I have been doing a lot of reading on EFI, and Jrgunn5150 is correct, Fitech has one of the best rated out there. When you get headers, get a set with the bung already welded in. I use a SS set that are not to expensive, and have been great. If you go look at my build you'll see what they look like. If it was me, and you want to make your truck a DD, might want to think of changing out the transmission to a 700r4, it will get you better MPG. There are a bunch of people here that can help you with any questions you might have. You are in the Army, so you know the only dumb question is the one unasked...Semper Fi....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site!

Thank you for your service..

Toshiba86

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the warm welcome folks!

I will be posting pics of my build and how its coming along tomorrow evening.

For the FiTech I don't need the command center or a new fuel pump compared to stock?

I have been reading and can't really find many folks whom have made the conversion to the FiTech. Maybe one or two but not much about the install or issues.

Ill look into a 700 trans once this joker gives me issues for sure! As of now she floats down the road with no issues at all.

My first rebuild and custom truck. Only ever dumped cash into a Tiburon that I supercharged for no real reason! LMAO!

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
For the fitech you either need to redo your fuel system or get the command center. The command center acts as a pressurized resivoir for your fuel so you don't need a high pressure pump. The command system would be easier but I think I'd personally do a return system fuel system if I had the time.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Welcome to the site and your plans sound great! Post pics of the truck when you get a chance?

Also, when you move to Missouri what base will you be stationed at? I'm in the KC, Mo area with several friends in the military and currently stationed here locally. One is about to get moved from here to Germany. Thank you for your service :patriot:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Thanks for the warm welcome folks!

I will be posting pics of my build and how its coming along tomorrow evening.

For the FiTech I don't need the command center or a new fuel pump compared to stock?

I have been reading and can't really find many folks whom have made the conversion to the FiTech. Maybe one or two but not much about the install or issues.

Ill look into a 700 trans once this joker gives me issues for sure! As of now she floats down the road with no issues at all.

My first rebuild and custom truck. Only ever dumped cash into a Tiburon that I supercharged for no real reason! LMAO!

You would need the command center also, to keep your stock system. The total comes up to like 1000.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus