76 Gas Gauge problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

76chevyc20454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I have a 76 C20 454, th400 single tank. when i bought the truck the guy said the gas gauge worked. well while driving home about 20 miles it was on E the whole time so I thought he lied or im about to run out of gas. Anyway i stoped at a gas station and filled it up it held 20 gallons and i started the truck and it went to full. the problem im having is if i hit a bump when i dont have a full tank my gauge needle goes everywhere. i didnt no if this could be electrical or if its just the float moving up and down. It just bothers me lol. What do you guys think?:shrug:

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Time to check grounds at the tank.

76chevyc20454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Time to check grounds at the tank.

Well i noticed there is a wire coming from it looks like around the gas gauge that's not hook up to anything. Didn't no if it could be that or not cant find a wiring diagram.

76chevyc20454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
And it had a new gas tank put in recently before i bought it.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
And it had a new gas tank put in recently before i bought it.

Well there shouldn't be any wires around the gas gauge as it should be fed from the printed circuit board. If this has been bypassed its really hard to say what is going on.

Also a new gas tank is even more reason why you should check grounds and the sending wire.. Its easy to miss these or not install properly.

76chevyc20454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Well there shouldn't be any wires around the gas gauge as it should be fed from the printed circuit board. If this has been bypassed its really hard to say what is going on.

Also a new gas tank is even more reason why you should check grounds and the sending wire.. Its easy to miss these or not install properly.

im not sure if its to gas gauge just a wire up around there not hooked up, has no power to it. ill check the gas tank though and see if that will help. Thanks man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76