76?-79 Grille

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Anybody possibly know where I can find a grille WITH the emblem placement. All the replacement ones do not have a place where you can put on the Chevrolet emblem and I hate debadging. I have the reproduction grille now without the emblem and I hate it. :(

Also considering maybe getting a billet grille but I'm not sure how I'd get an emblem on it either.. Maybe 3M Adhesive? :/ Any help or leads would be great.

Longbed'78

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have an oem grille from a '78 C10. PM me if interested. Thanks, Bob.

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Anybody else out there?

Longbed'78

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I got them down off of the shelf. It turns out that I have two of the Chevy bow tie grilles and one GMC. PM if anyone is interested. Thanks, Bob.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So you are wanting to get an emblem back on the front. Couple of different routes can be taken.

If you go with a billet grille, you could probably put an aftermarket emblem on it. They usually mount on studs, and they would probably fit through the billet. Talk to others with billet grilles before you buy anything though.

You could do what I would like to do and swap to a 73/74 grille. They are now making licensed reproductions with the emblem in them. If I was in the position to do this swap I would send you mine, but I am not looking to do it at the present time.

Or keep looking for a factory grille. eBay, CL, other sites, shouldn't be to hard to find one.

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
You could do what I would like to do and swap to a 73/74 grille. They are now making licensed reproductions with the emblem in them. If I was in the position to do this swap I would send you mine, but I am not looking to do it at the present time.

Different mounts though, isn't it?

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just the outer brackets are all you need from my research.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Check local yards and look for late 70's Chevy vans. They used the very same grille and vans often weren't as abused as pickups. Otherwise I might be persuaded to let one of mine go. I have several and probably won't ever use them all... I just like having them for some reason, lol.

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Check local yards and look for late 70's Chevy vans. They used the very same grille and vans often weren't as abused as pickups. Otherwise I might be persuaded to let one of mine go. I have several and probably won't ever use them all... I just like having them for some reason, lol.

Well bucket, shoot me a price and I might can match. Sadly all the old school pick-em-up trucks and vans around here are salvaged for scrap or the junkyards that DO have them aren't pull-a-parts and are ran by raging ********. If I lived near Charlotte, I would have a much better chance (pull-a-part GALORE)

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
75-76 grille won't work in a 77-80 just a fyi. the hood latch is offset to one side instead of center top. latch and so forth can be changed, but not a simple swap

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
75-76 grille won't work in a 77-80 just a fyi. the hood latch is offset to one side instead of center top. latch and so forth can be changed, but not a simple swap

I seemed to notice that, Towjoe. 77-79 grilles are almost impossible to find. But does anyone know if the actual emblem on the 1980 grille is replaceable like the 77-79 is? I know in LMC truck, the bowtie they sell seems to only go from 75-79, and it's the same that was on my original 78 grille, but does the 1980 grille use that same emblem or is it already embedded into the grille without the possibility of replacing it?

Reason I ask is because the one that Mr. 78Longbed possesses has a very faded emblem and I'd like to be able to replace the emblem to give it a fresher look.

ALSO, if I do find an older grille that has been faded and worn, is it suggested to paint it to made it look new again, and if so, what kind of paint? ._.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I scuff mine really well with a red scochbrite pad, get all the nooks and crannies. Then spray it with a couple nice even coats of enamel, like Dupli-Color or Rustoleum. Haven't had the best luck with Krylon.

I also like to use charcoal or semi-gloss black, especially if the trim is being used.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I know I bought a grille off lmc once and was able to buy the emblem to. Most of the black grilles I've seen have a sticker emblem originally. It's a thin aluminum sticker that can't be removed without damage, or atleast I haven't been able to

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10