700R4 won't engage in any gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a 700r4 that was rebuilt and only driven a few miles before I purchased it, I never seen it drive though, it set a couple of years without fluid, I then installed fluid and new filter but when truck started it will not shift in any gears, it has a 3600 stall, not fimiliar with stalls, but seems like it should at feel like its in gear, any suggestions

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You tried revving the engine and it didn't move?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Verify tv is connected correctly and then rev up the engine in gear(wheels in the air wold be better). High stall will make it so no gear engauge can be felt at low rpm. I almoat had an accident tuning a motor in my car with a stall before. Though it was in park, but when revved the motor a bit the car tried to launch forward. Turned out it was sitting there in gear and the shifter cable came loose. Hand brake saved the day there

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I just removed transmission lines and tried to see if fluid was moving, none came out of lines with trans in gear, I had previouly adjusted tv cable but will recheck, will also try revving motor

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
lifted rear wheels, wheels tried moving with engine revved up but barely, still no fluid thru lines

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I didnt add fluid to converter and hard to check fluid level cause it has a aftermarket stainless dipstack but shows up pass suggested mark, probably installed 7 quarts in transmission

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It should pump fluid out at idle. If transmission not pumping fluid out, the pump is not working. Are you sure the torque converter was inserted correctly durring the install?(3 clicks)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78