700r4 OD Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uloset

Reaction score
First Name
D
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Hi, long time lurker, but new to the forum. I've been having a problem with my a truck, an 87 V20 with a TBI 350 mated to a 700r4. At first I thought the worst, because when shifted into the OD position it behaves just like neutral, so I was thinking forward sprag. The thing is if I shift to D and then back up to OD it drives fine in 1-3 but just doesn't hit 4th (hard to tell though the front end needs work and i get a lot of vibration at higher speeds).

I'm guessing it is a shift linkage problem, but I've attempted to adjust it a few times with no real luck. I found the 87 shop manual online which states to loosen the linkage where rod and swivel meet. Then put the trans in neutral and the column shiftier in neutral by feel not indicator. Then shift column to park and then back to neutral hold the rod in place and tighten.

In short any tips, advise or clarifications about this whole situation? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1977chevyc30