700r4 not hitting 3rd gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckin'vermont

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey y'all, new one here -

So I only run my truck about a dozen times each summer - want to keep it clean from VT road salt. Anyway -

I've got an '86 with the 700r4 tranny, and I can't seem to ever find 3rd gear. It goes directly from 2nd to OD, which just isn't good at all. And tonight for the first time, it gave me trouble when I would apply moderate pedal in overdrive - seemed to stutter a bit.

Now I can change my oil and do my own brakes, but that's about as far as my mechanic skills go. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Fluid will be changed soon - it's full, and still red (although not as red as it should be).
Thanks in advance.

87dieselburb

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I had a 700r4 in my 87 it started to give me the same problems and I did some reading and everywhere I read said to get rid of that Trany and get a 4l80e so I looked around and did my research and found out they improved all the week points of the 700 then I went to have one put in and it was a jasper built and they made even more improvements all heavy duty stuff worth the money for a brand new better than stock transmission and it's a one time fix

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
I had a 700r4 in my 87 it started to give me the same problems and I did some reading and everywhere I read said to get rid of that Trany and get a 4l80e so I looked around and did my research and found out they improved all the week points of the 700 then I went to have one put in and it was a jasper built and they made even more improvements all heavy duty stuff worth the money for a brand new better than stock transmission and it's a one time fix

700R4 was later modified and renamed to 4L60E.

the 4L80E is a much heavier duty transmission. It's basically a descendant of the TH400 with an extra gear (and many other changes of course).

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Hey y'all, new one here -

So I only run my truck about a dozen times each summer - want to keep it clean from VT road salt. Anyway -

I've got an '86 with the 700r4 tranny, and I can't seem to ever find 3rd gear. It goes directly from 2nd to OD, which just isn't good at all. And tonight for the first time, it gave me trouble when I would apply moderate pedal in overdrive - seemed to stutter a bit.

Now I can change my oil and do my own brakes, but that's about as far as my mechanic skills go. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Fluid will be changed soon - it's full, and still red (although not as red as it should be).
Thanks in advance.

Have you had any luck fixing this or have any new news?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I am wondering if the torque converter is locking up in 3rd or possibly a cross leak internally

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76