6" lift questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tys234

Reaction score
First Name
Tyson
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a 79 k20 I have been trying to decide between a 4 and 6 inch suspension lift. I am leaning toward a 6. I am not sure what all I will have to do besides the lift and what it will cost. Such as transfer case drop, lengthening driveshafts, etc. has anyone done one similar that can give me some advice on a brand of lift and cost of getting longer driveshafts?

wadamsdot

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Same issues

I have a 86 k20 that I am trying to decide between a 4 or 6" lift. I want to run 35's but the truck will rarely see more than a gravel road. A friend of mine can get rough country lifts fairly cheap.

Tys234

Reaction score
First Name
Tyson
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I hear you can run 35's with a 4 inch. I will be using mine off road quite a bit so I think I want the extra clearance with a 6. I have looked at the rough country and the zone off road Is pretty cheap as well

wadamsdot

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That's kinda what I have heard. But then the guys at Les Schwab tires are saying I have to have a 6" lift.

wadamsdot

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Let me ask my buddy about the 6" lift questions you had. He sells the lifts and does a lot of off-roading.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I lifted my 74 k10 only 4" last summer and im running the new set of 35x12.5R15 BFG KO2's on a set of 15x10's.

Trust me when I tell you that you will rub on bumps and full turns with the a 4" lift on 35s. Wheel width and backspacing comes into play as well. I used EZ Rides last summer, rubbed a little, installed 2" wheel spacers (to help clear brake calipers) and started rubbing a ton. Further installed an add a leaf and a zero rate leaf in the front packs. Rubs only while turning and hitting driveways now. (Sits about 5.5" front, 4" rear)

Narrower rim = taller, narrower tire.
Wider rim = shorter, wider tire.

If you play on any offroading on a set of 35's, I will recommend a minimum 6" lift to prevent contact.

If you insist with a 4" lift, go for 33's or plan on trimming quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have 6" lift on mine and the front driveshaft angle was (and still is) a nightmare. I destroyed several double cardan joints and mine is no mall crawler, it would see serious trail twist. The SM465 4-speed is shorter than the TH350 so that contributed to my problems I think. I ended up putting a yoke from a '76 NP203 on the NP205 front output and made a custom box steel front driveshaft, and STILL had to modify the crossmember, as well as shave some material off the t-case yoke nut and driveshaft yoke lol. I took this a step further by putting a 32-spline front output shaft from a F*rd NP205 in my t-case, which would allow me to run a 1350 or 1410 yoke for greater angle. I also was told a tip I want to try one day where you can use a Dodge 2500 front driveshaft from a mid-2000's truck and have it cut to fit. The double cardan joint has 1350 u-joints and provides greater than 30 degree running angle, unlike our stocker with 3R joints and less than 25 degree running angle.

The rear I lifted using a shackle flip and that brought its own set of problems. A shackle flip causes the rear axle to rotate the pinion up and moves the axle forward a little. So I had to use zero rate add-a-leafs to move it back about an inch, and since I went with a 14 bolt rear (on a half-ton) I had to have the driveshaft lengthened (the 14-bolt's pinion is a couple inches shorter than a 12-bolt).

You're also going to need longer brake lines front and rear, and you'll have to address your steering geometry between the steering box and axle. Most people get a raised steering arm and/or lowered pitman arm. You basically want your drag link parallel with the road. If it is angled you'll have more bump-steer, reduced left steering radius, and if you twist it up on the trail you will have NO left hand steering whatsoever. (Ask me how I know this hahah) I had to go with a crossover steering kit, which involved swapping out the steering box for a 2WD box. Since I had a Dana 60 front axle, the kit came with a passenger side kingpin cap/steering arm and made hooking up the drag link easy. On a 10-bolt or Dana 44 you have to get a whole steering knuckle for the passenger side that can accept the drag link (more expense). I honestly think I would have been happier if I kept it at 4" lift but you pay a heavy price when learning what works on your particular truck and what don't, all because I wanted to run 38" tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB