5th wheel hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hogger

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
After trailering (bumper mount) a skid steer home and back, I have a new interest in 5th wheel trailering. Please share words of wisdom and/or experience. Mine's an 84 K20 with semi floater rear. Before I would 5th wheel
You must be registered for see images attach
I would certainly upgrade to a full floater rear-end. Thank you in advance y'all.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What was the issue you ran into? You can bumper pull just fine if the load is placed properly.

Also, fifth wheel tends to be for campers. Equipment trailers are a gooseneck with a simple ball in the bed.

Hogger

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It was a rental, I feel like the tongue weight was excessive, however the load was placed where they wanted it. It just seems to me that placing the weight right over the axle makes much more sense. 5th wheel is apparently the wrong term. I am the equipment trailer type.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Yeah, they loaded that thing too far forward by about a foot it looks like. Would've definitely been better balanced a tad further back. A gooseneck certainly would be a good idea if you're going to haul alot. Your best bet will likely be talking to your local truck upfitter/trailer place and see what they offer. I'm not really aware of any "kits" for these trucks like newer ones. Back in the day, it was basically just heavy plate welded or bolted to the frame rails with a ball mount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35