4x4 indicator light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
4x4 indicator light, where is it suposed to be plugged into? Mine is dangling under the dash and would like to find its home.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The bulb is dangling under the dash? The socket pops into the back of the cluster where the other indicator lights are. I thought it was printed circuit controlled, but maybe not.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Do i have to remove the cluster or should i be able to reach behind there and plug it in?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You might be able to plug it in from the back. Depends on how well you can cram your head under the dash.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Dont need to cram your head under if you have a bit a dexterity left iin your hands. I was able to get mine out and back in by feel on the '84.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Dont need to cram your head under if you have a bit a dexterity left iin your hands. I was able to get mine out and back in by feel on the '84.

You had an advantage though, you knew where you pulled it from.

All kidding aside, it can be done in most cases, just depends on what you are willing to do. Some people probably would rather take the cluster loose while sitting on the seat.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
awesome thanks... just not sure where to feel around? I will look into it tomorrow. Thanks for the help... She is worth fixing, I would like to start putting all the small crap back together then start on the big stuff.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Tailgate is next after this... have to use a flat head to open her up... handle only opens driver side not passenger.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If the gate has a lot of use on it, typically the holes in the handle assembly itself is oblong, and the rubberized coating on the rods have worn off and the metal itself could be worn down some-this is all it takes to not fully open one latch or the other. The rods and handle holes are always trying to overcome the latch spring tension amd over time they just have too much slack.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
If the gate has a lot of use on it, typically the holes in the handle assembly itself is oblong, and the rubberized coating on the rods have worn off and the metal itself could be worn down some-this is all it takes to not fully open one latch or the other. The rods and handle holes are always trying to overcome the latch spring tension amd over time they just have too much slack.

Can that be fixed or should I just replace the tailgate?

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Sorry for all the questions. I like to tinker and fix things, also like to save some $$$ where I can. I am by no means a mechanic and have always relied on help from a good forum like this one.

Thanks,
Adam

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Can that be fixed or should I just replace the tailgate?
It can be fixed. Just gotta take it apart. Mine was rusted stiff I just took it apart soaked it and kept working it till it was smooth an reinstalled it.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
4x4 indicator light, where is it suposed to be plugged into? Mine is dangling under the dash and would like to find its home.

I think the 4WD lamp for your truck goes under the speedometer on the left hand side (next to the choke light). Like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

If you want to be sure, just shine a flashlight on the lens. Doesn't need to be from behind, you can see the lettering even from the front. That light should have two external leads because it is not powered through the printed circuit.

As far as installing it back into the hole in the cluster bucket without removing the instrument panel - it is probably the easiest one to do. If you can disconnect the speedometer cable you can get the 4WD lamp back in.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Awesome thanks... i have tried my flashlight and can’t see sh!t. Probably my eyes though :(

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You can still get the handle assembly new from GM....it aint cheap at about $160 or so but its worth replacing! The rest of the hardware can be restored-but imo a new handle assembly is worth the $$.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
millernf