4bt into a square body?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Little ugly 74

Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was wondering if anyone has tried this yet? I was able to score a 4bt out of a Chevy bread van, and im thinking about swapping this into my truck. any input would be appreciated thanks:grd:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
wildcatjason has one in his Suburban and likes it, I'm sure he'll chime in when he sees the thread. Lots of reading for you on the 4btswaps forum if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forum.php

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I was wondering if anyone has tried this yet? I was able to score a 4bt out of a Chevy bread van, and im thinking about swapping this into my truck. any input would be appreciated thanks:grd:

Have at it, your truck is smog exempt.

Little ugly 74

Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Haha that's why I bought the truck!
And by the way Jim my step dad is from Patterson just kind of funny to actually see someone else from there!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Haha that's why I bought the truck!
And by the way Jim my step dad is from Patterson just kind of funny to actually see someone else from there!

Yeah? I moved here about 4 years ago from Richmond. Its ok, Except for the ******* heat in the summer, and no jobs.
Where abouts are you?

Little ugly 74

Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah? I moved here about 4 years ago from Richmond. Its ok, Except for the ******* heat in the summer, and no jobs.
Where abouts are you?

we used to live in Newman, but moved out to livermore for highschool rodeo

tranzman

Reaction score
First Name
ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
CUMMINS 4BTA

I have a 83' chevy K20 with a 4BTA ,it has bigger inlectors , a HX35 turbo , & some pump mods , has about same power as the mild 454 that it replaced ,+ 22-23 MPG, was a factory 5.7L gas motor truck , I took it to the local DMV and they exempted it ,no more smog

Last edited:

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
I honestly don't think I would do it again due to the sheer cost and the noise these things make. I dropped a mint into it to do it right and sold it for half. If your gung ho I'll tell ya anything you would like to know.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I have a 83' chevy K20 with a 4BTA ,it has bigger inlectors , a HX35 turbo , & some pump mods , has about same power as the mild 454 that it replaced ,+ 22-23 MPG, was a factory 5.7L gas motor truck , I took it to the local DMV and they exempted it ,no more smog

DMV should not have exempted that. Only a referee can. you got lucky somehow. I think your case, since a 4 BT is available in delivery vans, and your truck is an 8500 GVW and up, a referee would have passed and certified it.
Now, a half ton....forget it. The only diesel you could use in that case, that is worth a ****, would be a Bluetech MBZ diesel from a car.

tranzman

Reaction score
First Name
ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
CUMMINS 4BTA
DMV should not have exempted that. Only a referee can. you got lucky somehow. I think your case, since a 4 BT is available in delivery vans, and your truck is an 8500 GVW and up, a referee would have passed and certified it.
Now, a half ton....forget it. The only diesel you could use in that case, that is worth a ****, would be a Bluetech MBZ diesel from a car.

I should have stated that at the time I had it exempted i sawpped in a GM 6.2l diesel then to the cummins, as a side note at the time it was exempted the vehicle weight was dropped to 1/2 ton status , less weight fees , not sure how that happened

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I should have stated that at the time I had it exempted i sawpped in a GM 6.2l diesel then to the cummins, as a side note at the time it was exempted the vehicle weight was dropped to 1/2 ton status , less weight fees , not sure how that happened

Ahhh...that splains it. 6.2 was an option for that truck. Ifyou had a camper shell bolted to it, dmv will give you non commercial plates, and your fees go down.

tranzman

Reaction score
First Name
ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
CUMMINS 4BTA
Ahhh...that splains it. 6.2 was an option for that truck. Ifyou had a camper shell bolted to it, dmv will give you non commercial plates, and your fees go down.

thanks for the info about the camper shell ,

tranzman

Reaction score
First Name
ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
CUMMINS 4BTA
A lot of people out here want to do a diesel swap , But with all the Cali. diesel smog crap , most of them are choosing the LS route ,there are a lot Cummins 4BT's available for sale here right now ,but no one wants to try to EXEMPT them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eri24