496 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Do you already have the block?

Irezel

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k20
Engine Size
~
Changed the head gasket to a thinner 0.043 instead of 0.08. Also changed the pistons again to some +3cc instead of -23cc. New pistons dont come with rings so had to pick out some of those too. If im doing the math right, it should be at about 9.36 to 1 compression. New pistons are still 1.270 Compression Height.

--New Parts--

-Pistons - Part Number: Sportsman Racing Products 142980-8
Bore: 4.310
Type: Flat top, with single valve relief
Material: Forged Aluminum
Compression Distance: 1.270
Piston Volume: +3.00cc

-Piston Rings - Part Number: JE Pistons S100S8-43105

-Head Gaskets - Part Number: SCE Gaskets P14324
Bore: 4.320
Material: Copper
Thickness: 0.043 Inch

Irezel

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k20
Engine Size
~
Ive got a 96 vortec 454 basket case if youre interested.
Thanks, but im just planning it out right now. Once I have a good build planned, I will start saving to buy every thing

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
Compression is only a static number, depending on the cam these things change and the way the engine runs changes. If you get a cam that dumps early, even if it is rated 10-1 or higher, the dumping sooner helps any pinging problem. A 496 with decent flowing heads(ovals, not peanut) will allow you to enter the highway and get up to speed quicker hauling most loads.
Bottom end torque is great, but to stay within any smog limits they had to cut higher end power. If you build with mid range in mind, you can have a high torque motor and some mid range.
A Dart block and aluminum heads is an expense you should not make. The stock engine block and some cleaned up oval heads, a cam made for highway towing will be awesome. Don't try to overthink yourself here, the GM engineers have designed the engine and the interior parts to go 300k, unless you are running tractor pulls or a monster truck these items are overkill.

Irezel

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k20
Engine Size
~
Compression is only a static number, depending on the cam these things change and the way the engine runs changes. If you get a cam that dumps early, even if it is rated 10-1 or higher, the dumping sooner helps any pinging problem. A 496 with decent flowing heads(ovals, not peanut) will allow you to enter the highway and get up to speed quicker hauling most loads.
Bottom end torque is great, but to stay within any smog limits they had to cut higher end power. If you build with mid range in mind, you can have a high torque motor and some mid range.
A Dart block and aluminum heads is an expense you should not make. The stock engine block and some cleaned up oval heads, a cam made for highway towing will be awesome. Don't try to overthink yourself here, the GM engineers have designed the engine and the interior parts to go 300k, unless you are running tractor pulls or a monster truck these items are overkill.

I would like to be in the 600-700hp area which is why I went with new block and heads. And I went with all the forged stuff cause I would like to be able turbo or supercharge it later down the line. This truck would not really be using for towing/ offloading/drag racing/ or daily driving, but it will occasionally be using for all of these. It will mainly just be something fun to take out on the weekends. And i've been looking at this cam: Lunati 20010550

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I would like to be in the 600-700hp area which is why I went with new block and heads. And I went with all the forged stuff cause I would like to be able turbo or supercharge it later down the line. This truck would not really be using for towing/ offloading/drag racing/ or daily driving, but it will occasionally be using for all of these. It will mainly just be something fun to take out on the weekends. And i've been looking at this cam: Lunati 20010550
If your building to boost later it will be kind of a turd till then. Not pissing on your plan but 6-700 n/a hp on 9.1 compression is kind of a stretch. If that's your goal boosted then ok. Lol that would be more like it.

Irezel

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k20
Engine Size
~
Compression is 11.34:1 and DCR is 8.08:1. (Should be able to run on 93)And im not building it for boost, just keeping it in mind. If I do boost it, some parts would be getting replaced, just not the main internals. And I would assume I that 1.2-1.4 hp per cubic inch is perfectly possible naturally aspirated

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk